Newbie - older guy

jmelv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pass on it.

Whats your price range?

my price range is no more than $600.

thanks for your reply

A D40 is a good camera, but it is designed as an entry level dSLR. It also is designed in a way that forces you to use new Nikon lenses with the autofocus on the lens, as that ability is not included on the body of the camera itself, so purchasing lenses might get expensive as you cant use older ones.

Having said that, I would invest in a used D50. They can be had for about the same price. Check eBay as well as Craigslist in your area.

If you are sure about looking into a career change- start with a D50 and the kit lens. Next up will probably be a 50mm f1.8 and who knows from there. One thing though, sit down and get to work on a business plan! It doesn't matter if you want to go full time into it or just to be a weekender, the business side is every bit as important as the photography in this case.

I had the occasion to play with the D40 with the 18-135 yesterday. It's a very capable camera for someone just getting into photography or not wanting to go deep into it. It is small to my thinking but not as 'toy like' as the entry level Canon. This is not a dig at the quality of the Canon it's just that there feels to be more inside the Nikon (or at least it's made of sturdier stuff ;)).

mike

anyone want to take bets on how many go ballistic before reading the caveat? ;)

Most reactions

Back