Newbie photo editing advice

dan7hughes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am far from an expert on photo editing. What I want to do is take a picture and make it like a background image behind a different coloured foreground. I am probably not explaining it v well or google would have helped me find it! I saw a phone case with the type of effect I want to create on it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/EGOODBAY-Ba...9XWA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353012120&sr=8-6.
The picture is in the background of the red and blue foreground. (well thats how i would describe it).

Could someone please tell me what this technique is called? And how I would achieve it through free software, or a web based tool?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You'll need to learn about layers, masks and transparency.

GIMP can do what you want.

WTF, this post contains link to amazon with referal id? Looks not good practice for me.

thanks 480sparky, will have a look at GIMP and read about those things.

AlexanderB - that amazon product is nothing to do with me. I just searched for in on amazon as i was aware the product had an example of the image. I'm based in the UK and guessing from the reference to verizon and sprint that the seller is US based. No referal id in the link. And it wasn't me that put the shopping link to ebay on the word phone case in my post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back