Newbie Photographer - which book?

grantjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Almost a year ago I bought a Canon EOS 1000D (I think it's called a Rebel XS in America) and so far I have only used the auto mode.

The reason I bought it is because I'd like to learn about photography and learn how to use all the features manually.

I'm thinking it's time for me to get a book and start to learn about things like aperture and f stop (I really have no idea what these things mean...yet)

So, would anyone recommend getting a book like "Canon EOS 1000D for Dummies", or should I go for a more generic book that isn't for a specific camera, but teaches the reader about how to take good photos?

Thanks a lot for your time!

EDIT: I've browsed the forum a bit and have seen the topics about books now and think I'll go with Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson.

I understand that only covers the exposure part and not photo composition, but I think for now I might as well learn how to take pictures rather than how to take good ones! :D

Last edited:
Hi all,

Almost a year ago I bought a Canon EOS 1000D (I think it's called a Rebel XS in America) and so far I have only used the auto mode.

The reason I bought it is because I'd like to learn about photography and learn how to use all the features manually.

I'm thinking it's time for me to get a book and start to learn about things like aperture and f stop (I really have no idea what these things mean...yet)

So, would anyone recommend getting a book like "Canon EOS 1000D for Dummies", or should I go for a more generic book that isn't for a specific camera, but teaches the reader about how to take good photos?

Thanks a lot for your time!

EDIT: I've browsed the forum a bit and have seen the topics about books now and think I'll go with Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson.

I understand that only covers the exposure part and not photo composition, but I think for now I might as well learn how to take pictures rather than how to take good ones! :D

You can't go wrong with Peterson's book, it's filled with great information and pictures.

Bruce

Peterson's book does cover some basics of composition.

Honestly, start with one thing at a time. You don't need a book that will cover exposure, composition, styles, processing, off camera lighting,... start from the ground up and build from there.

The great thing about photography is (from what I hear) even after 25 years, you are still learning.

Hey Big!

You have it sooo right. I started in 1964...have been a professional all my life, and I am still learning. There is no end.

The ability to gain knowledge today is wonderful. From pod casts, to cd's, and video's on U-tube, the advancement is there. But it is still amazing how "left field" some are.
Auto- anything is letting a machine control your images and visual statement. Learn how to do what you what in manual. Of course "P" works for those times you don't have time to think. *wink..

Just joined, and hope to be around.;)

Skim the manual, and just keep shooting. Cheapest and best way to learn!

Im also new to photography. Read several good and highly recommended books from users(by scott kelby, david busch few more cant remember).
My favorite which im reading now was introduced in my college photography class as the main textbook.
Complete Digital photography by Ben long 5th edition. $20 at barnes and nobles online.

Most reactions

Back