newbie photographer

djdaizzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Canon 20D with a Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM EF Lens, shot during last weeks competion, don't be too harsh, I drive better then I shoot. :lol:

autox006.jpg

Wahooo!! another canon user!! Welcome to the forum!! great shot!! nice clean edges, great color...keep'em coming (you may want to resize your pics down a bit to a smaller pixel width)

Welcome to the forum.

Nice shot, very crisp & sharp.

Is it wrong that I turn green every time I see a "newbie photographer" that owns a 10D or 20D with an IS USM lens? :roll: ;)

I was using ISO100 I think, should I use something higher so the wheels would look like they're moving faster?

I'd give one criticism: You seem to have used too fast a shutter speed.

The car is obviously moving quite quickly yet you've totally frozen it, as such there's no sense of speed. It would have been better to drop the shutter speed to get some blurring...at least on the wheels. That would have given a better impression of movement.

Of course managing to select the appropriate shutter speed to blur some parts of the pic and not the whole lot can often be quite tricky but the results are usually worth it.

Ant said:

The car is obviously moving quite quickly yet you've totally frozen it, as such there's no sense of speed. It would have been better to drop the shutter speed to get some blurring...at least on the wheels. That would have given a better impression of movement.

Of course managing to select the appropriate shutter speed to blur some parts of the pic and not the whole lot can often be quite tricky but the results are usually worth it.

so adjust the shutter instead of the ISO?

djdaizzy said:
Ant said:

so adjust the shutter instead of the ISO?

A good way to get a feel for it is to put the camera on Tv mode and adjust the shutter speed to a slower one...maybe around 1/4 or 1/8 and let the camera adjust the aperture for you.

Wow, i love that shot. The depth is great. The whole car is crisp and sharp but the cones just on the inside of the turn are soft.

The wheels are SLIGHTLY blured from their motion, they almost look just out of focus. IMO, i like shots that either freeze the car completely (sharp wheels as well as sharp car), or capture the motion (blur the wheels a lot without blurring of the rest of the car). So, if it were me, i'd go either a little faster or a little slower on the shutter speed. But it's still a great photo.

Anyone ever consider a polarizer on a shot like this? It could get rid of the glare on the hood, fenders and glass. Make the whole car blue and the glass clear?

GregF422 said:
Wow, i love that shot. The depth is great. The whole car is crisp and sharp but the cones just on the inside of the turn are soft.

The wheels are SLIGHTLY blured from their motion, they almost look just out of focus. IMO, i like shots that either freeze the car completely (sharp wheels as well as sharp car), or capture the motion (blur the wheels a lot without blurring of the rest of the car). So, if it were me, i'd go either a little faster or a little slower on the shutter speed. But it's still a great photo.

Anyone ever consider a polarizer on a shot like this? It could get rid of the glare on the hood, fenders and glass. Make the whole car blue and the glass clear?

That would be awesome, I'll try a polarizer in the future.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Yeah... when shooting you don't want to go higher than 1/300 usually...

If the car is coming "onto you" you may want to go below 150

Most reactions

New Topics

Back