newbie pics!

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mattfacer.com
Hey all,

just joined the site - and only recently started playing with a "proper" camera! Here are a few of my first attempts - I didnt want to post them in the critique gallery quite yet!!

- be nice!! :lol:

These are all my particular favourites - all very different....

normal_9.jpg

one of the first pictures I took with the camera - I think it came out ok?!

normal_1.jpg

I love this pic because of the reflections in the water ripples...

normal_17.jpg

dont know what is is about this pic that I love - think its the colours (not the sheep! lol!)

normal_8.jpg

liked the no snow effect under this fallen tree... think its slightly out of focus tho?!

normal_4.jpg

our neighbours cat... quite liked the christmas tree blurred... but too much light from the window?

normal_2.jpg

this was taken messing about with the lens speed... always loved the pictures of steaking lights...

let me know what you think! thanks!! :p

Matt Facer.

I'd say they are pretty good for your first with the new camera. It's hard to really comment on more than one photo though. You will get better responses if you just post one at a time.

I like the first one. I'd really like it if the Depth of Field was deeper. Only a small part of the wall is in focus, I'd like to see more of it, or all of it, in focus.

Same with the log photo.

Have you had a chance to figure out haw to control the DOF with your new camera yet? Were you going for a shallow DOF in those pics?

DOF - Depth of field

It's the part of the photo that is in focus. Do you see how your fist photo is a little blurry close up, then gets into focus, then gets gradually more blurry as it gets farther away?

Depth of field is controlled by changing the aperture of your lens. The wider you open the aperture, the more shallow your DOF will be. Inversely, the more you make the aperture smaller, the more of the photo will be in focus.

To go along with this, the shutter speed of the camera must also change to accommodate the changes in the size of the aperture.

I could go on and on, but it's much easier for you to learn it yourself and ask questions after reading a bit. Go to the web site forums on this site and look for someone's site that has a really good interactive teaching demo that lets you test out DOF by adjusting the aperture and shutter speed accordingly.

wow! that site is awesome!! I've learnt more in the past 20 minutes than I have done in 4 weeks!! Now I know what it all means!! thanks very much mike (big mike!) .... much appreciated!!

Not a problem. :cheers:

Now go out there and use the new-found knowledge to get some great photos.

Hey mfacer, welcome to TPF!!! I really like these, I think the first is my favorite though. The one with the cat could use a fill-flash or something to really set off the subject.

I see you're in manchester. Are you a united fan or a city fan? :) I'm in america, but follow english football as closely as I can. :thumbsup:

hey shark...

I am a red (united) fan... probably one of the few who actually live in manchester!! I share a season ticket so get to see pretty much all the matches which is good!

nice to see an american watching "real football"!!! hehe! :wink:

mfacer said:
hey shark...

I am a red (united) fan... probably one of the few who actually live in manchester!! I share a season ticket so get to see pretty much all the matches which is good!

nice to see an american watching "real football"!!! hehe! :wink:

Awesome! I get to see the reds play bayern munchen in chicago this summer (champions world tour). Can't wait!!!!!! :-D I'm a goalkeeper, so I'll be torn between cheering for howie or kahn. :cheer:

That's awesome about getting to see most of the matches. I'm quite jealous! I have a friend who lives in London and has seasons to the gunners. I was quite the arsenal fan for awhile, but when united picked up howard, I had to start paying more attention to them. ;)

And yes, 'american football' is utterly useless and devoid of any 'sportistic' value whatsoever. :D :thumbsup:

Shark said:
And yes, 'american football' is utterly useless and devoid of any 'sportistic' value whatsoever. :D :thumbsup:

I agree...Canadian Football on the other hand is a great game that few pay attention to. :wink:

Luminosity said:
And whatcha think aboot Aussie Rules footy guys :p ?

Thems guys gots big brass ones. I watch a lot of ARF during the summers (here). The fox sports world channel that carries all the european football games shows a lot of ARF in the off seasons. :D :thumbsup:

cant really comment on ARF as the only match I have seen, toadie and billy kennedy were playing - and it was on neighbours...... yes, I used to watch it when I was younger!! :roll:

how is "canadian footy" different from american footy?!

Most reactions

Back