Newbie pretty much all the way around

Sharkbait0708

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello: I still consider myself a newbie in the photography world even tho I've been fiddling around since 2005. I worked for a photographer for a few summers and loved it! Decided to go to school for it and then life happened and I ended up becoming a Dental Assistant. My husband is in the Air Force which has given up the wonderful opportunity to travel the world. We are currently stationed in Germany which has since gotten me back into the photography world. I have done lots of research online just reading to improve my skills and I do small shoots for friends here and there but as always I would love to learn more and become a better photographer! I currently have a Nikon D5100 (Which I LOVE!) It came with the kit lens that I've been using for the past 2 years, and I just upgraded my lens to a Nikon DX 55 - 200mm (that I can't wait to get out and play with). I've been using Gimp to edit my photos which seems to do just fine for my level of knowledge, however my hubby and I have been thinking about upgrading to a low level of photoshop also! I'm so excited to learn more about photography and grow as a photographer! So feel free to send tips and tricks my way they are much appreciated!

Hello: I still consider myself a newbie in the photography world even tho I've been fiddling around since 2005. I worked for a photographer for a few summers and loved it! Decided to go to school for it and then life happened and I ended up becoming a Dental Assistant. My husband is in the Air Force which has given up the wonderful opportunity to travel the world. We are currently stationed in Germany which has since gotten me back into the photography world. I have done lots of research online just reading to improve my skills and I do small shoots for friends here and there but as always I would love to learn more and become a better photographer! I currently have a Nikon D5100 (Which I LOVE!) It came with the kit lens that I've been using for the past 2 years, and I just upgraded my lens to a Nikon DX 55 - 200mm (that I can't wait to get out and play with). I've been using Gimp to edit my photos which seems to do just fine for my level of knowledge, however my hubby and I have been thinking about upgrading to a low level of photoshop also! I'm so excited to learn more about photography and grow as a photographer! So feel free to send tips and tricks my way they are much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum SB - I also use a Nikon D5100 and like you I love it. If I can answer any specific questions about the D5100 for you let me know, there are plenty of very knowledgeable people here who can help as well.

Photoshop is a heavy lifting program. If you get it, learn how to maximize use of layers, masks and selections. If you want photography tips, you can read my blog here. You have a good attitude. The solution to better images is becoming a better photographer. Most assume the solution is gear. Gear solves physical problems, but it doesn't solve bad photos.

You want tips -- got that for you: Amateurs look through their cameras and see the subject; photographers see how the subject is lit. See the light.

Joe

Definitely check out Adobe's awesome offer that is running til Dec. 31st at Adobe. $10 a month gets you Photoshop and Lightroom.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome, Sharkbait!

Welcome to the forum! :) We have lots of experienced as well as beginning photographers here, so you are in good company.

Hope to see you posting your work. Have fun!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back