Newbie Q's

snugasabug923

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!!
I am a middle-school student, and I would like to get started in SLR photography. My sister has been doing it for many years, so I can rely on her to give me some info. I read the sticky about basic terminology etc. I guess I want to know what kind of camera is best for a very tight budget. I don't need anything fancy, but I also don't want a piece of junk. Do you have any relatively cheap cameras to recomend? And if you have anything about getting started or anything about photography, lemme know!

Thanks very much!

Used 35mm SLRs are going cheap these days. You'll find lots of different opinions on what a good starter camera is; most brands made plenty of pretty decent models. How much do you want to spend? Camera cost doesn't have a lot to do with image quality; you can get a good, used 35mm SLR with a 50mm lens for $30 to $300+.

You can take your chances on Ebay, or check out these used camera dealers. Both have great reputations.

www.keh.com

www.mpex.com

Canon AE-1...

I own one (along with my digital 20D) and I LOVE the AE-1. It has always been reliable and is full featured.

I guess the first question you should ask yourself - do you want digital or film. While digital camera's are initially more expensive you should factor in the film buying and processing of a film camera (or the chemicals and paper if you're developing your own). Its completely up to you which you prefer.

I also recommend taking beginners classes - they're great fun, you meet people with the same interest in photography as you, and most places they teach you how to develop film/print your own. I was in the photography academy (that basically means out of 6 subject slots in a year 3 of mine were photography YAY). I really enjoyed it, learn how to do so much and met some fantastic people.

nikon all the way,:D i found the most popular are nikon and canon, but my personal opinion is nikon, i got mine from a second hand shop for nearly 300 dollers, but if you are getting it from a 2nd hand shop just make sure the lens is in good condition, (obviosly) because that will have big effect on picture :p anyway thats pretty much commen sence but for a bigginer i suggest a nikon because its a really strong camera

you dont really need a fash unless your planning on taking pictures in a cave or at knight or something

I would reccomend getting a Canon rebel body (rebel 2000, T1, etc.), without the lens kit, and then the 50mm f/1.8 lens. Good camera for begginers, and a very decent price range.

another thought is that if your sister has a few camera's spare, use one of her camera's, but if she does't use one like hers because (even though most camera's are prety much the same) she will be able to help you more because she is used to that brand

did that make much sence

I would get a camera that has BOTH auto modes and manual modes.

The reason I say this is - you say you are in middle school... One of the things you would probably do is have outings with friends...

The worst thing is standing there for ages trying to focus & set up your camera while your friends are waiting. Automode just gives the convenience for those times you don't have time to stuff around.

That said - make sure it has manual modes too... No point in buying an expensive camera if you don't have lots to play with!

I have a canon 3000N (aka Film Rebel). I love it. It cost me approx. $300AU. But US would be around $150 New. Or you could get one on ebay a lot cheaper.

Go to ebay. and look at 35mm cameras. I like canon. but there is an everlasting debate on whether canon or nikon are better. I think both are equally good... (or else one wouldnt survive!)

If you find something you like, post here and tell us - and someone will be sure to have a look. And also check out the camera on the manufacturer's website.

Get a used one off ebay. I purchased a nikon n75 for dirt cheap on the internet, and with the rebate, it came in under $100.00 I chose nikon because of the glass. Although it may not matter now, eventually you want to stick with a brand for life (IMO). Thereby, every $ you spend on glass will add up (and You'll never have to buy those lenses again). For example, grab an n75 and a 50mm 1.8. That's a great lens. I would only buy nikkor optics but it doesnt matter to some.

Work with your 50mm, then grab a wide angle (24mm or so). Then grab a medium telephot (180 f2.8 is a great one). These lenses will all add up!!! When you get old enough and have some extra cash, you can buy the best body (dSLR hopefully) that you want! And all your glass will work on it!

I buy old, manual focus lenses on ebay in mint condition. They work perfectly with my d70, and they are built to last. I recommend you do the same.
Craig

BadRotation said:
Canon AE-1...

I own one (along with my digital 20D) and I LOVE the AE-1. It has always been reliable and is full featured.

I second the Canon AE-1. :) I have one too. It's the best. Not that I have much to compare. It's just nice and reliable for everything I've put it through. :)

You can get them pretty cheap. Even cheaper on Ebay than a camera store because those stores want a profit and will charge around $300 (that's what mine costed about. It came with a Canon 50mm len and a Canon lens cap and all manuals. I don't think it was ever used either.)

catweh00 said:
I would only buy nikkor optics but it doesnt matter to some.

Nikon's known for their lens quality. Or so I keep hearing. I really don't see a difference.

Oh, I mean personally I don't like 3rd-party optics. I would rather have nikkor optics on a nikon, canon optics on a canon, etc. Not to say nikon is better than canon, but I like the way nikkor optics work with nikon cameras. 3rd party lenses never did it for me.

Thanks for replying everyone! I am going to look into a beginner class. I am going to start looking tonight! Now I have some good models to look for. Thanks again!! :D

Most reactions

Back