Newbie question on changing date pic was taken??

CassBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just starting the daunting task of organizing my digital photos. The good thing is, since I am new at this, I don't have zillions (just hundreds).

Was hoping someone could tell me, if someone emails you a picture or you scan a picture, how can you go into Properties and change the date that it says the picture was taken? I have several pix that show the date I loaded it into my computer, but I know that is not the actual date taken and I would rather have it blank or be able to change it than keep it with the wrong date.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Cass

opanda is the EXIF viewer I like....you can also edit your EXIF with it from my understanding. www.opanda.com

I am just starting the daunting task of organizing my digital photos. The good thing is, since I am new at this, I don't have zillions (just hundreds).

Was hoping someone could tell me, if someone emails you a picture or you scan a picture, how can you go into Properties and change the date that it says the picture was taken? I have several pix that show the date I loaded it into my computer, but I know that is not the actual date taken and I would rather have it blank or be able to change it than keep it with the wrong date.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Cass

If you are talking about Windows Explorer Properties, you can't. That date (Date Created) is not the date the photo was taken, that is the date it was created on that system. It has nothing to do with the photo it's self and everything to do with the file that happens to be in this case a photo.

If you are talking about Windows Explorer Properties, you can't. That date (Date Created) is not the date the photo was taken, that is the date it was created on that system. It has nothing to do with the photo it's self and everything to do with the file that happens to be in this case a photo.

OK, so if I am using Windows Explorer and Microsoft Digital Image Suite, is there ANY WAY to add the date it was taken, like if it is a scanned picture?

There are two dates associated with a digital picture.

1) the file creation/modification date assigned to the file by the Windows Operating System (Windows Explorer).
2) the digital picture has an embedded date inside what we call EXIF header.

#1 is not controlled by you. The operating system uses that date to determine when the file was created or last modified.
#2 is controlled by you. In order to modify this date, you will need an EXIF editor (as posted above).

You could also just put the date the picture was taken into the title if it is the view in Windows that you are concerned about.

Something like: 080101_newyearsday.jpg or even just 080101_1.jpg if you don't want to give each one a name.

When I do this, I like to put the year first (08) so my photos sort themselves by date order when I view by title, if you do the date this way 010108, it will come after last years new years day pictures (010107).

You could also just put the date the picture was taken into the title if it is the view in Windows that you are concerned about.

Something like: 080101_newyearsday.jpg or even just 080101_1.jpg if you don't want to give each one a name.

When I do this, I like to put the year first (08) so my photos sort themselves by date order when I view by title, if you do the date this way 010108, it will come after last years new years day pictures (010107).

Ok, makes sense. Thanks so much for the replies, everyone!

OK, so if I am using Windows Explorer and Microsoft Digital Image Suite, is there ANY WAY to add the date it was taken, like if it is a scanned picture?
Did you look at the summary tab in the properties? The date the picture was taken is at the bottom of the summary if you have it in the advanced mode. You can alter the lower part putting your name to the picture as the author and, give it a name and such in the lower boxes.

Did you look at the summary tab in the properties? The date the picture was taken is at the bottom of the summary if you have it in the advanced mode. You can alter the lower part putting your name to the picture as the author and, give it a name and such in the lower boxes.

Ok, I will check that out and see if that works for me...thanks!

Most reactions

Back