Newbie question on first lens to purchase

rg8043

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have always wanted to pursue photography as a hobby, I now have the time and have been looking at purchasing my first dslr camera. I am leaning towards purchasing a canon t2 or t3, and have found a package deal at costco online. The package comes with a 18-55 IS lens. Since I know nothing at this point about lenses and their uses, I was wondering If I am better off buying just a body and a lens separately or would it make sense to buy the kit, learn to use the camera and lens and then upgrade?

If the consensus is that I should buy the body and lens separately, what lens would you recommend for a good all around general purpose lens.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rob

I would buy the T3i 18-55 Kit. However, if you are a "Shopper" and you are not worried about getting a whole new setup RIGHT NOW, you can keep checking the prices for a while and you might find a better deal for that lens and body separately. I got my T3i from a place that is normally more expensive than most online places for cheaper than I could find it ANYWHERE else and I got it the day I went to the store. Some patience can payoff pretty well. With that said, and you get the T3i KIT...

You will not need a new lens until you have well learned the camera and more importantly learn what you cannot accomplish with the equipment you currently have. As you learn the camera and learn what you like most to photograph you will begin to understand what you need more. If you find you enjoy Macro photography that will require a different direction with equipment than say if you were interested in broad landscapes or fast action sports. For now, get a body and a lens and get to shooting.

I am not sure of your skill level with exposure and compostition but you may want to go to the library and check out a couple of books by Bryan Peterson called "Understanding Exposure" and "Learning to See Creatively" If you are new to DSLR's and manual mode the first one will help a lot. If you are a decent photographer with a good understanding of composition then the second one might not be that big of a help but definitely wont be a hindrance.

Good luck with your purchase and make sure to stop by and post some shots!

Found some good deals on the T2i; can't seem to find a significant difference from the T3i, am I missing something? I am anxious to purchase the camera and to start shooting, but I don't want to make a mistake to save a few bucks. Again I welcome your input.

The "only" difference I have heard of is the articulating screen. It is a slightly newer version of the T2i basically with the same guts and a new firmware. If you are finding a good deal on the T2i then by all means jump on it! I chose the T3i SOLELY based on the articulating screen. I have been in some spots where trying to record video/take shots required me to hold the camera well above my head or down low to the ground. The articulating screen is a HUGE help in those instances. Its also great for getting candid shots around a corner. I will flip the screen out and poke the camera around the door frame and take some pictures of my youngest son at play without him ever knowing I was there.

Most reactions

Back