Newbie question

BGBK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and to photography. I am in the process of selecting a camera. I am planning to take a class to learn about photography. I have been considering the Nikon D80. Based on what I have read, I am confident that it is a good camera. My question is: Will this model have the features I will need while I am learning, or is there something else I should consider that will offer more growth potential?

Welcome!

If you can exhaust all the potential of that camera then you will have done something that scant few have Ever done! The thing about features is that they just make it so the 'normal' photographer can pull off the same tricks as the skilled photog (some just make it faster).

If you are Certain (!) that you are going to stay with photography and will remain serious about it then look at the D200 for it's ruggedness and dedicated controls which make it faster to use in those difficult settings serious photographers seem to get into -a lot.

You don't need the step up but if you are really going to get into the thick of things a bigger stick helps ;).

There will be those who will tell you to get good lenses first but if you are going to be getting those anyway... (Nikon may have made a bad lens but I don't personally know about it. Some are much better than others but as far as i know every lens that Nikon makes will serve very well as a starter lens) and you can afford the D200- get it. Just do get the Great glass to go with it as you grow as a photographer.

Good luck and Welcome again!

mike

Mike, thank you for the guidance. It was very helpful. I am sure I will have more questions as I continue on this journey.

Most reactions

Back