whit~foto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitande.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!

Thanks for check out my question here. I really would appreciate any advice.

Here is my situation. I was going to sign up for NYIP in a few weeks until I read a thread on TPF about several people who would vote again it. Several of you suggested that you just search the internet, and or post pics on TPF for critique. It got me thinking that that might be the way to go. Cheaper!

I am struggling as to what I should start learning first. I am frustrated with my Canon 3D (oldie but goodie) because when I take a picture it rarely turns out how I want it to. I haven't yet wrapped my brain around the Aperture and Shutter settings and how to know just how to set it or what mode to set it on (Av, Tv,A-Dep, M)

Is it in the len? I don't have a mounted Flash either.

My ultimate goal is the have my pictures be crisp in color and realistic and then move on to achieve good composition. How would I achieve this and where would you suggest I start learning?

(sorry so rambled...)

I'm not sure either, sorry. but I want to see the answers so I am replying so I get messages.

BUT I did learn apeture and all, that I can grasp but I seem to just not be getting the rest. The book Understanding Exposure has been great, I wish i could find it (in my house) so I could read more!

Understanding exposure : how to shoot great photographs with a film or digital camera
Peterson, Bryan F.

Is this it?

My advice; having just started looking at photogrpahy properly in the last couple of weeks woudl be to check out Ken Rockwell's site: www.kenrockwell.com

He keeps everything simple and I think explains the why very well so you can start learning for yourself. He also tries to put the art of photography into perspective and hopefully prevents you from getting bogged down in the details and encourages you to take photographs first!

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

LJ

You found the right book! Its a great resource for information.

You need to learn about what aperture, shutter and ISO do and how they work together. This is stuff that applies to film and digital cameras, its the basics.

Once you get how things work, its all about practice. Take plenty of shots trying the various functions.

My advice; having just started looking at photogrpahy properly in the last couple of weeks woudl be to check out Ken Rockwell's site: www.kenrockwell.com

He keeps everything simple and I think explains the why very well so you can start learning for yourself. He also tries to put the art of photography into perspective and hopefully prevents you from getting bogged down in the details and encourages you to take photographs first!

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

LJ

GREAT SITE! I think I have seen this guy before and then couldn't find the site again. Thanks.

So I'm no pro :lol:

But learning about aperture and shutter speed is fundamental to move past shooting on the program/auto mode. It can be confusing at first, but once it gels, you'll have a solid foundation to build upon. You'll begin to understand how much control you have over a picture's outcome. :)

It's like learning the Alphabet is your building blocks to reading. Or the major scale is your building block to making music.

There should be plenty of free info about the basics of aperture and shutter speed available online. Google it up! :)

So I'm no pro :lol:

But learning about aperture and shutter speed is fundamental to move past shooting on the program/auto mode. It can be confusing at first, but once it gels, you'll have a solid foundation to build upon. You'll begin to understand how much control you have over a picture's outcome. :)

It's like learning the Alphabet is your building blocks to reading. Or the major scale is your building block to making music.

There should be plenty of free info about the basics of aperture and shutter speed available online. Google it up! :)

Totally agreed. That's why is has been frustrating. I just keep rereading the tutorials. One day it'll just click. Although, when I think it has clicked I go take a picture and it turns out like crap. Will that just happen?

Do other photographer either struggle with aperature/shutter settings? Or is that something you will eventually master in any setting?

Read Understanding Exposure. It is not specific to any camera type and explains the basics very well.

Kens site is cool as well, but it takes a minute to navigate some of the resources on his site. He is in DESPERATE need of a site overhaul as its remained pretty static for years. Just take what he says with a grain of salt as he is 100% NOT interested in offering a friendly opinion - just an opinion PERIOD. Armed with that info, you should get a lot out of his site; his articles on wide-angle lenses - both the reviews on individual lenses and wide angle photography in general - are excellent.

Awesome, thanks for the jump start. I'll be post pictures to come from what I have learned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back