newbie seeks advice,

chrisgrieve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello all,

i am a newbie to this site and to photography, i have had a point and shoot for a few years and want to get into it a bit more and start it up as a hobby, i am looking at buying a dslr. my two choices are the nikon D40x and the Canon Rebel XTi. i have read the threads with everyone asking which one to buy, i have read tht the Nikon D40x does not have an autofocus motor in the body, this may not cause me too much hassle but thougt i would ask. i have just been browsing the web looking at lenses, for example will this lense work on the D40x, it says that focusing is AUTO, does this mean it has a motor in the lense,or will the lense have to be an AFS fitting to work with the Nikon D40x. im confused, any help appreciated, please be nice, http://www.photofactory.co.uk/Store...aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=143&comp=n

thanks

If you want to use autofocus on the D40x you need:

- AF-S lenses from Nikon
- HSM lenses from Sigma

The lens you linked to does not appear to be HSM. It will NOT autofocus on the D40x.

Yes as Steph says, if it doesn't say AF-S or HSM, it's not going to autofocus. This could limit you a bit if you want autofocusing lenses. Of course one solution if you want to go with Nikon is to not get the D40 and get something that will autofocus with all lenses (like the D50 or D70 which by now are available for a good price and use the same sensor as the D40). There are many many dSLR choices beyond D40-vs-Rebel, despite the number of threads comparing these.

I'm deciding between the two as well...I think they seem about the same with the difference a few small things and then name. I'm going this weekend to the stores to check them out. From other threads I have read it really helps to go hold them, take pictures and see which one you like better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back