Newbie to DSLR and photography. Just wanted to introduce myself.

IndieAnnaJones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. I've been wanting a DSLR for a few months now and I finally pulled the trigger on a Canon Rebel T3i (Thank you Amazon).

Anyways, I really don't know squat about digital photography but with this forum and a little experimentation, I'm pretty sure I will pick things up pretty quick and post some "results" on this forum for you guys.

I do have a few questions though...

I have a 18-55 and a 55-250 lens and was wondering if those two would be good enough to start out with? Would a wide angle lens be in my foreseeable future? Any other lenses/accessories that you guys would recommend? Any newbie tips?

Thanks!

Those are great starter lenses. Congrats on a nice camera purchase. Study about composition and the rule of thirds. Look at portraits and notice the absence of distracting things (unnecessary things that can be removed from the photo area). You will learn quick enough if you need a lens wider than 18mm. Probably the first thing that you will learn about lenses is that you will desire a faster (wider aperture) lens than your kit lens, we'll see.

I just got the same kit and love it, except that mine is the Canon T2i, I heard is the exact same thing except for the articulating screen. I would suggest you getting the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, it will make things a lot easier.

I just got the same kit and love it, except that mine is the Canon T2i, I heard is the exact same thing except for the articulating screen. I would suggest you getting the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, it will make things a lot easier.

Yeah, the hardest part was deciding if I wanted a T2i or T3i. I went with the T3i to future proof my purchase and I will be doing a lot of video recording also so the T3i would be better for those awkward angles.

The important thing isn't your lenses in your bag, but if you know how to use them to put what you want onto the sensor. If you don't know what you need, you don't need anything. Eventually you'll discover a need for something else, that being either a faster lens, a wider lens or a a flash.

Welcome :D glhf , LOL :) Don't be afraid to use this great source of information :)

The best purchase I made besides my camera. Also look into any other recent books on photography from the local library. Another good one is "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson.

Most reactions

Back