Newbie to photography...any advice C&C please

bowen.deanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! This is my first post here (be kind LOL) I just recently (6 weeks ago) got a DSLR camera and WOW didn't realize how much there was to learn about everything!!!! My point and shoot camera ruined me LOL Anyways I have decided to start slow and learn one thing at a time. What do you think is the first and foremost to learn.....rule of 3rd, exposure, aperture, shutter speed, ISO....etc? Below are a few picture that I have been playing around with trying to learn all the buttons and what nots on my camera (Canon Rebel T3). I have used some online simple photo editing programs but haven't advance to anything big. Have a copy of Photoshop 7 but have NO idea how to even start on using it. Anyways any suggestions, ideas or critiques would be greatly appreciated. $232323232fp63589_nu=325;_4_7_898_WSNRCG=37849476_332_nu0mrj.jpg$1bree.jpg$232323232-fp635;5-nu=325;-4-7-898-WSNRCG=378492-79732-nu0mrj.jpg$bree6.jpg$1breex.jpg$bree26q.jpg

Learn the triangle of exposure! That should get you started on the right path :)

Edit: also, did you add a sharpening filter to the first one? And I think the third one might have too much flash.

Learn the triangle of exposure! That should get you started on the right path :)

Edit: also, did you add a sharpening filter to the first one? And I think the third one might have too much flash.

Thank you for your advice. I didn't realize how much there was to learn. Alittle bit overwhelming :lmao: Yes I did add a sharpening filter to the 1st. Is that something that I shouldn't have done?

If I were you I'd focus first on exposure (as mentioned above). Research different lighting and how it will affect you settings etc.
The more you practive the quicker you will learn!
One thing to watch out for when composing an image is not cutting off hands/elbows etc.

Once you know the rules you can break them!! :D
You will get a lot of valid feedback on here, and some not so valid. I have learned so much from coming on this forum but just beware to not take anything personally, some people can be a bit blunt!

Enjoy...

First off, keep photographing adorable girls like that one...they make the pictures appear so,so much better than ugly stuff like brick walls and old rusty vehicles and stuff. As far as what to learn...wow..there are sooooo many different things, but I guess if I had to pick one thing to be it would be some of the very BASICS underlying composition, such as the elements and principles of design. Learn about things that determine how we compose pictures...things like line, shape, mass, texture, hue, value, and ideas like repetition, harmony, dissonance, balance, and so on. THis kind of information can be found on-line from multiple sources by doing a search on "elements and principles of design and composition". This is located under the rubric of "art", but it truly applies to photography. Good composition was invented centuries ago--using stone,and wood, and then later, using paint and canvas.

The second thing to learn is to stop using what is sometimes called Dutch tilt...that's not needed!!! Stop holding the camera tilted!

Third thing is to ENJOY the new camera and the wonderful world of possibilities a fine d-slr like your new Canon gives a person! Revel in it!!!!

I am not an expert, but here is my opinion. You have a creative side=very good. A perfect picture can be boring. I am still learning. Practice, Practice.... Enjoy it. I learned PS by just practicing, PS for Dummies and researching net and watching YouTube.

these pictures look good for someone who just picked up a camera. I agree with all of the people above, plus study lighting that's one of the most important things whetger you want to be a natural light photographer or use off camera flash. Pick what suits you best, also studying light will help you save more time from photo shopping, it will also set you apart from those Photoshop photographers. To round up everything, lighting can make a dramatic difference you can take a picture in the same spot and have totally different looks good or bad.

I read above that you sharpened your first image, one thing i've learned (which I'm completely a noob lol) is when you take pictures of women it's usually a good idea to soften the image to make their skin look smooth. If you sharpen the image it will emphasize any blemishes.. which fortunately your model has gorgeous skin =P As for your photos, I think they look pretty dang good for your first time. Also, i completely agree not to do the "Dutch tilt" lol it just takes away the feeling of a profession photo.

Good luck with your photography!

If I were you I'd focus first on exposure (as mentioned above). Research different lighting and how it will affect you settings etc.
The more you practive the quicker you will learn!
One thing to watch out for when composing an image is not cutting off hands/elbows etc.

Once you know the rules you can break them!! :D
You will get a lot of valid feedback on here, and some not so valid. I have learned so much from coming on this forum but just beware to not take anything personally, some people can be a bit blunt!

Enjoy...

Thank you! I have started reading upon lighting and there is a lot to learn ;) Thanks for the advice about the cropping. I think sometimes I don't see things like that until someone points it out to me. I will be sure to keep that in mind. Thank you!

First off, keep photographing adorable girls like that one...they make the pictures appear so,so much better than ugly stuff like brick walls and old rusty vehicles and stuff. As far as what to learn...wow..there are sooooo many different things, but I guess if I had to pick one thing to be it would be some of the very BASICS underlying composition, such as the elements and principles of design. Learn about things that determine how we compose pictures...things like line, shape, mass, texture, hue, value, and ideas like repetition, harmony, dissonance, balance, and so on. THis kind of information can be found on-line from multiple sources by doing a search on "elements and principles of design and composition". This is located under the rubric of "art", but it truly applies to photography. Good composition was invented centuries ago--using stone,and wood, and then later, using paint and canvas.

The second thing to learn is to stop using what is sometimes called Dutch tilt...that's not needed!!! Stop holding the camera tilted!

Third thing is to ENJOY the new camera and the wonderful world of possibilities a fine d-slr like your new Canon gives a person! Revel in it!!!!

"Dutch tilt" I have never heard of that before but I see what you mean now. So that is a no-no huh? I always thought it made pictures look different from every other one. But see I do have a lot to learn. I was recently told not to center my photos...I always thought you were suppose to LOL Someone had told me to research "the rule of 3rd". I have done a little on this and can't understand why you wouldn't center your pictures. LOL Thanks for all the information and the great advice.

+1, might I add I like the second to the last shot and the angle in the last shot
bigthumb.gif

I am not an expert, but here is my opinion. You have a creative side=very good. A perfect picture can be boring. I am still learning. Practice, Practice.... Enjoy it. I learned PS by just practicing, PS for Dummies and researching net and watching YouTube.

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. I have watch tons of YouTube videos on PS. Alot to learn there isn't there. Again thanks!

"Dutch tilt" I have never heard of that before but I see what you mean now. So that is a no-no huh? I always thought it made pictures look different from every other one. But see I do have a lot to learn. I was recently told not to center my photos...I always thought you were suppose to LOL Someone had told me to research "the rule of 3rd". I have done a little on this and can't understand why you wouldn't center your pictures. LOL Thanks for all the information and the great advice.
This is a a really great resource to learn a lot about composition: Amazon.com: The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos (9780240809342): Michael Freeman: Books

If you have a tablet that does Kindle, it's even cheaper and faster to get it and start learning composition with it.

UPDATE: I see that folks on Amazon are saying that the Kindle version looks horrible, so maybe stay away from that and get the printed version instead (if you decide to get it, which I highly recommend). I can say from owning it myself, the printed version is visually stunning and VERY informative.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
bowen.deanna said:

I don't think its a matter of don't ever center. or dont ever tilt. or always use rule of thirds.
I feel that some pictures work best with certain composition, but I of course do not know everything. and I do use the rule of thirds guideline very frequently. and don't tilt very much.
but some things work for certain situations. so do study more and you'll figure out when the unconventional composition will and will not work.

remember: there are endless ways to shoot something.
(your role is to find the best ways.)
:)

Most reactions

Back