Newbie w/ a few questions about getting a 350D...

bobaab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bobaab.deviantart.com
Hey guys, I just had a few questions before I put money into something like this. I am pretty much set on the 350D, as the price is good, and I have an EOS 650 with two lenses, which I can also use w/ the 350D. One is the original lense that came with the 650 (EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6) and the other is the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6.

My biggest debate right now, is if I should get the 350D with the kit lense, or if I should just buy the body and buy the 50mm f/1.8 lense. I already have a standard zoom and telephoto lense, so maybe I should get a lense that'll let me shoot pretty fast in low light (and because the lense is very inexpensive).

I know many will tell me to ditch the kit lense and buy the 50mm lense. My concern here is if my original 650 lense is up to par to the kit lense. Even if it isn't, is it worth buying the kit lense?

Another concern is the type of photography I do, which is mostly macro, but I think the 50mm lense will broaden that horizon for me.

So what do you think I should do? Please give me some suggestions, as I have done a search but I haven't found the answers I'm specifically looking for, except for the fact that every EOS owner should have the 50mm lense. Any sample pictures with the 50mm lense would be greatly appreciated also! (w/o post editing).

If you mostly do macro work, then surely you'd want a macro lens? You can get pretty close with the 50mm, but it's not a macro lens. Sigma do some cheap macros, as the Canon ones are quite pricey compared to everything else you've mentioned.

I would guess that as the max aperture on both your zooms is high, that the digital optimised kit lens would be better, but I don't know by how much - there's plenty of people here who would though.

I'm a prime lens fan, and the 50mm standard lens is so cheap it's almost criminal not to have one for indoor shooting! There was a great picture by Joeri in the gallery a while ago with one:
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38944&highlight=halloween

I'm sure he'll mail you a full size shot if you want to look at an unedited one.

I thought that was an excellent shot, showing both the crispness and shallow depth-of-field of the standard lens.

Rob

I would suggest getting the 18-55 Kit lens. It's only about $100 when bought with the camera. You will want that wide view because your 35-80 will not be very wide on the 350D.

I have that kit lens, it's very light and does not feel like top quality...but it's actually not that bad. It even focuses quite close so that you can do some close-up (not macro) shots.

I also have a 50mm F1.8 and I recommend that as well. It's fast and sharp. The only problem is that, on a 1.6 crop camera (350D, 20D) it's not wide enough for my taste. I need to get myself a 35mm or 28mm prime.

How is your old 650 holding up? I've got one of those too, the shutter did get oily at one point but I cleaned it up and it works great. Well the control dial is sketchy at times.

I have to disagree. I really don't like the kit lens. It gives poor resolution in general and is not really very good at any focal length tit's shortest being it's best. I'd just get the 50mm 1.8 instead with the body.

You have a mid range zoom already and if you want wide angle I'd spend money and get one specifically instead of the kit lens which isn't that great.

i just don't read like the kit lens the soobner I see the back of it the better when I get my 50mm 1.8 mk II

You won't get anything near wide angle, unless you get something wider. Your widest focal length will be a about a 50mm equivalent to 35mm film. If you mainly shoot macro, that's not going to be a problem. If you want a cheap macro alternative, get the 50mm f/1.8, and a set of extension tubes.

Daniel said:
I have to disagree. I really don't like the kit lens. It gives poor resolution in general and is not really very good at any focal length tit's shortest being it's best.

I don't mean to start a debate here...but I really think that most people dislike the kit lens because of the way it feels rather than the way it performs. A lot of people have preconceived notions about it because the internet is full of people saying that it is crap. Well, compared to a 17-40 F4 L....it is crap. But the kit lens cost 1/7th of what that lens cost.

Last month's Pop Photo had the winners from their 'photos of the year' contest (or something like that)...and a fair number of those photos were taken with the kit lens...and subsequently published in a magazine. That's good enough for me.

Here is a very detailed review of that lens.

Another option is the 'better kit lens'. 18-85 with IS, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

Yeah for it's price it is fine but thats qualifying it. If you don't qualify it it is a poor lens.

the 50mm is the same price and alot nicer.

Big Mike said:
How is your old 650 holding up? I've got one of those too, the shutter did get oily at one point but I cleaned it up and it works great. Well the control dial is sketchy at times.

I had to get the shutter fixed, basically it was getting stuck and not opening all the way. I had the repairman basically lube everything up..is what I understood through his heavy accent.

Other than that the camera is holding up very, very well. No electronics problem, no dial problems, etc.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Now that I think about it, 50mm isn't that wide angle (im not sure what I was thinking at the time) but I think it is still a desirable lense for me.

I will most likely get this camera before the summer begins, but I'm doing as much research as I can before I buy it. I appreciate everyone's comments!

I have the kit lens and use it from time to time. Under the right conditions this lens can perform fairly well, ive gotten pretty good results with it. Would i do it again? probably not. I would save for a better lense in that range. The Tamron 28-75mm is highly regarded, as well as the Sigma 24-70mm and 18-50mm.

The canon 50 1.8 is a sharp lens for the price. You should look into the some extension tubes like the Kenko Pro DG Kit. It has a 12mm 20mm and 36mm tubes which can be stacked to make 68mm. It's not a bad solution and it doesn't cost much. However these don't work with EF-S lenses.

Perhaps you could also look into the Canon 50mm 2.5 Macro or the 60mm Macro, but again the 60mm doesn't work with the extension tubes if you opt to get it.

Well here's my take on the kit lens. I'm certainly no expert and can't argue the positive comments on the lens or it's optical quality, but I can say that I feel that the "mechanics" of this lens is crap. I'm a "beginner", so for the first few weeks with my 350D I used it in fully automatic mode including autofocus. Easily 1/2 of the photos I took were in poor focus. Then I bought a Quantaray 70-300. I noticed an immediate difference in focus quality, still using full auto. These pictures were almost all in focus. This is when I started examining the kit lens in more detail. I payed close attention to the focusing, and noticed that the sloppy mechanics of the lens would make some pictures out of focus. The motor would focus, and when the motor turned off the lens would "relax" and move a bit. When manually focusing, I found that I had to hold the focus ring thru the shot. If I let go, the lens will fall. if you grab the ring , you can actually move the ring in and out without rotating. It's VERY sloppy!

Since I learned this characteristic and I pay attention to lens movement, my pictures are much better but of course I never use auto focus anymore.

Frankly, I think this is a poor quality lens and it taints my thoughts of buying another Canon lens. You would think they would include a better starter so that newbes would want to go buy another Canon lens.

scottyb said:
Well here's my take on the kit lens. I'm certainly no expert and can't argue the positive comments on the lens or it's optical quality, but I can say that I feel that the "mechanics" of this lens is crap. I'm a "beginner", so for the first few weeks with my 350D I used it in fully automatic mode including autofocus. Easily 1/2 of the photos I took were in poor focus. Then I bought a Quantaray 70-300. I noticed an immediate difference in focus quality, still using full auto. These pictures were almost all in focus. This is when I started examining the kit lens in more detail. I payed close attention to the focusing, and noticed that the sloppy mechanics of the lens would make some pictures out of focus. The motor would focus, and when the motor turned off the lens would "relax" and move a bit. When manually focusing, I found that I had to hold the focus ring thru the shot. If I let go, the lens will fall. if you grab the ring , you can actually move the ring in and out without rotating. It's VERY sloppy!

Since I learned this characteristic and I pay attention to lens movement, my pictures are much better but of course I never use auto focus anymore.

Frankly, I think this is a poor quality lens and it taints my thoughts of buying another Canon lens. You would think they would include a better starter so that newbes would want to go buy another Canon lens.

Welcome to the forum,

It sound's like your kit lens is damaged. While it's certainly not built very tough, what you are describing is more than just poor construction. If it's still under warranty, take it back and get a new one...or at least trade in value on something better.

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum,

It sound's like your kit lens is damaged. While it's certainly not built very tough, what you are describing is more than just poor construction. If it's still under warranty, take it back and get a new one...or at least trade in value on something better.

I've considered that. I have checked out 3 other kit lenses and they are exactly the same.

Your idea of attempting a "trade up" is something I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with focus creep on my 18-55 lens. I have zoom creep on my 35-105 but that thing is probably 15-20 years old.

The 18-85 EF-S IS is supposedly a pretty good all-around lens. I would much rather have that, than the kit lens...but it's a few times the price.

Most reactions

Back