Newbie with a couple of Questions

ctwehues

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is Craig and I just recently jumped into this hobby. I purchased a Nikon N75 camera with a Sigma 70-210 f/4 lens, a nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens and a nikkor 24mm f/2.8 lens. I also own an SB-23 and quantaray tripod. I have circular polarizers, skylight filters, 6x crossscreen filters, and UV filters.

Does that sound like a decent beginner set-up? I have a bag too.

I was wondering if I should think about getting any other lenses? I just purchased the 24mm on ebay and the other two my father had from a previous camera (nikon 2020--1988 I think). Should i look in to getting a larger tele lens, or possibly a teleconverter? I am a teacher, so my funds are limited.

I also own a nikon 4300 camera with 4x tele lens and super wide .38 lens.

My second question is: How can I take some great night shots of the cincinnati skyline? Does anyone have any suggestions? I am brand new to this, but i would to take some great pics, blow them up, and hang them on my walls.

Please respond with any suggestions or comments on my beginner set-up. Thank you so much for looking!
Craig

Welcome to the forum.

It sound like you have a pretty good kit, much better than just a beginner kit...I'd say.

As for night shots that you want to blow up...you will want to maximiz you sharpness. You will need your tripod for night shots anyway...but use a tripod. You should also use a remote release or just use the self timer. You should not be touching the camera when you fire the shutter.

Use slow film, ISO 100 or slower. It has finer grain that fast film and will enlarge better. Also, when taking long exposure night shots, slow film is supposed to perform better.

Use a good lens, no problen there. You seem to have some good ones. The prime lenses should be sharp as a tack.

You may have to experiment with exposure for night shots...depending on what you are looking for. Bracket your shots and you should be fine.

Welcome again, we look forward to seeing your photos.

Welcome Greg.

Sounds like a good starter setup. Ditto using the Tripod.

My family is from the N. KY Cincinnati area(I'm not to far away) and have also wanted to try a skyline shot. Be sure to post some pics when you get them. ;)

Patrick, Craig here.
What area are you in? We should shoot together sometime! I live in Fort Thomas and it would be great to learn some tricks from you. My friend has her own darkroom, so we could develop film there. Let me know if youre interested. (ok,this whole reply sounds like Im a stalker, but I am pretty pumped about photography--my excitement level is through the roof, thats all).
Cya, and thanks for the responses everyone! keep them coming.
craig

LOL...I was born in Ft. Thomas

I live near Dayton now. But still make the trip often to visit friends, shop and get a decent meal..LOL

wow guys...I live in fairfield! I go to school downtown so I'm down there shooting almost every day of the week. If anyone wants to get together sometime to shoot night shots, let me know! I was actually up in Mt. Adams shooting just a couple nights ago. let me know if anyone wants to get together!

Count me in.:D

Would love to get some shots of that old church on top of Mt. Adams. Looks pretty cool from the KY side at night.

I'm in! Let's go when the weather warms up, how does that sound?
Let me know what you guys decide, I really need to learn how to work my camera--I've been reading and reading and reading and now I need to start doing.
Craig

there's no better way to learn than to just get out and do it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back