Newbie With a Filter Question/Problem

crimsonAA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

Over the holidays, I started playing with my future-mother-in-law's Rebel T3i... And by New Year's Eve, I was the proud owner of a Canon SL1 kit with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses. (Yes, I've heard that the 75-300 isn't very good, but the price was great courtesy of Target.)

I also recently picked up a Tiffen 58mm circular polarizing filter, which should fit. But, for some reason, I can't get the filter to screw in. I'm not sure if the filter is defective... I don't see any threads on the filter itself, so it won't screw in to the lens. But, it's the right size, because the lens cap fits onto the filter.

Is it possible that:

1) I got a totally defective Tiffen filter with no threads?
2) I got the wrong size/type of filter?
3) I am a complete dolt and can't figure out how to screw the filter in properly?

Any thoughts? (I'm screwing it in to the right end of the lens, of course, and I think it's going in the right way-- but when I twist the filter it just doesn't catch because it doesn't look like there are any threads on the filter.)

Here's the filter I bought: Amazon.com: Tiffen 58MM Circular Polarizer Glass Filter: Camera & Photo

Many thanks!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Being a CPL, there should be two parts to it. Make sure you're rotating the portion that threads into the lens and not the 'other' portion that away from the lens.... it could just be spinning like it's supposed to.

Hmm. OK. So, my filter seems to have only one part, and I'm rotating the whole thing. It doesn't seem to "catch" inside the threads on the lens...

If what I'm saying makes no sense, I'm happy to try and insert a photo or video :)

CPLs must rotate or else they're pretty much useless in the field.

If you can't hold one side still and rotate the other half, you have a dud.

I don't see any threads on the filter itself, so it won't screw in to the lens. But, it's the right size, because the lens cap fits onto the filter.

Is it possible that:

1) I got a totally defective Tiffen filter with no threads?
2) I got the wrong size/type of filter?
3) I am a complete dolt and can't figure out how to screw the filter in properly?

Any thoughts?
If there are no threads, it's not going to screw into your lens and I'd have to go with option 1.

Show us a picture of the part that should have threads...

edit
If there are no threads, it would be pretty clear to me what the problem was... You seem to be not quite sure if there are threads on it or not. Seems that would be the "yes or no" sort of question...

Last edited:
From the Amazon link - "Designed for lenses specifying a 58mm filter thread size".

So if it has no threads it is defective. Return it for replacement.

Filter threads are quite fine and are not very wide, but they sure can be seen..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back