Newbie with a phone camera

johnson332

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was interested in photography since I was a kid, but I never had a camera until I got Nokia N82. It's not a real camera of course, but this is one of the better camera phones. So, I've been shooting mostly nature and old buildings for a while and I'd like you to comment my photos. I'd like you to be honest and tell me if I'm any good with this, that is whether I deserve a better camera or not.

The picture with the goats - all 4 of them were in the center of the shot, but N82 has slow autofocus and you can see what goats can do in that time. Slow AF is definitely the worst thing about this phone camera.

The one with the greenery and dead branches is a picture of a pretty deep and scary ravine, but you just can't see that on the photo. How do you take a picture of a ravine?

I think that the BW of the road (4th here) is my best shot ever.

$BW voden1.jpg$stranje.jpg$mirejina.jpg$lukoviste.jpg$koliba1.jpg$jarici.jpg$BW krusje1.jpg$buk-cvece.jpg$vratarnica.jpg$sunset.jpg

There's to many to properly critique. The composition isn't to bad in #4, #7 and #8.
A couple of tips. Don't post so many Images.
Don't shoot from inside a car.
Buy a real camera and keep practising.

Thanks for the comment. I would like to buy a proper camera, but that's not so easy in Serbia, plus I'm unemployed.

All you need is a cheap compact to get started on Phoneography man! Other than that, i really love the first few shots but the last few seem to be a bit rushed!

You are right about the "rushed" part. I took the one from the car because the transmitter masts made a nice contrast against the dark clouds, but I was in a hurry and didn't want to stop to car. The last one was rushed too, I was coming home from work and barely stopped walking to take it. The sunrise really looked like that, it's not some camera problem. I bought a compact camera yesterday. It's a Samsung s830 and I bought it as non-functional. I think I've managed to repair it now.

What do you think about this one? I believe that I've captured a pretty nice and dramatic sky, but I think that the foreground totally ruins this shot. This snapshot is from a top of a hill that is mostly flat with only a few shrubs and tall grass growing on it. Unfortunately when I took this snapshots the clouds were in the direction of those forests on the lower ground and that other hill that is slightly higher. By the time I reached the position that offered a better foreground for those clouds they were gone. It was a shame, because this place being so high and flat definitely makes your heart beat faster when there's a thunderstorm approaching.

Attachments

• $05262013804-RGB.jpg
    $05262013804-RGB.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 247
What do you think about this one? I believe that I've captured a pretty nice and dramatic sky, but I think that the foreground totally ruins this shot. This snapshot is from a top of a hill that is mostly flat with only a few shrubs and tall grass growing on it. Unfortunately when I took this snapshots the clouds were in the direction of those forests on the lower ground and that other hill that is slightly higher. By the time I reached the position that offered a better foreground for those clouds they were gone. It was a shame, because this place being so high and flat definitely makes your heart beat faster when there's a thunderstorm approaching.
Yea, it's ok. I like it. The ground looks a bit dark in the smaller preview, but better when viewed bigger. Do you have Photoshop or GIMP? You can 'dodge' the ground a bit to lighten it, or use a duplicate layer and mask to do that instead. Maybe this scene would look good if you turned the camera to 'portrait' orientation, and made a picture with more foreground.

Thanks for the input.

I could have lightened the ground in GIMP, but I left it as is because the ground really looked dark when I took this picture and I think it makes more contrast with the lower part of the sky. This is just my opinion, but I like it more this way.

I agree with the portrait orientation. I wish I had shot another picture in that position.

Thanks for the input.

I could have lightened the ground in GIMP, but I left it as is because the ground really looked dark when I took this picture and I think it makes more contrast with the lower part of the sky. This is just my opinion, but I like it more this way.

That's good, I like that you trust your own judgement with that.

Some photos are good but not all, but there is a great difference in shooting with real camera and a phone camera. I suggest purchase a newbie camera first and do practice with that before purchasing a high-end camera.

I agree with you - the road shot is best IMO. Good composition!

As posted don't shoot through your car windows. If the shot is worth taking it's worth stopping for and doing it right.

Concentrate on good techniques. Find the unique angles and composition that turns a snapshot into something more.

You are off to a good start.

you've got a good eye for finding composition, I like TJC suggestions, work on uniqueness to help take the fact that there just camera phone pics.

I have started using the camera on my phone a lot here lately because it's so convenient. Especially when you're driving down the road. Make the best of what you have. I believe that if you can master taking great photos on your phone, then you're definitely ready to upgrade. I've seen amazing shots taken on a phone.
With your situation on the clouds, I believe you should have captured the scene while the clouds were where you wanted. However the shot is still good. You should get to where you're constantly shooting and moving around to find "the shot." Also, if at all possible, don't take a photo while driving. I've pulled over on the side of the road countless times. But I understand you were rushed. Sometimes you do what you gotta do.

Most reactions

Back