Newbie!

mimstrel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!
I joined this forum because I wanted a resource for my "newest" camera, which is technically the oldest, but I'll get to that in a moment!
I never got the hang of film photography when I was younger, although in retrospect I think it was a case of poor quality cameras and film - when I borrowed my mom's camera for a black and white class, I didn't end up with a single photo in either roll (1 week class) that I wasn't pleased with. Anyway, I eventually gave up on photography.

My grandma gave me my first digital, a Canon Elph, for a graduation gift. It's 4 years old now and has been all over the globe with me - I'm concerned that it may have gotten some damp in the Amazon because it makes funny noises when opening, but its hanging in there and is still an amazing little camera.

When I headed off to Alaska to work for the Forest Service for a summer, I decided to upgrade for more zoom, and ended up with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. This one, although nothing to a pro's camera (nor are my abilities anything to compare), amazes my friends by my results. It gets noisy at fairly low ISO, but I can deal (As long as I remember to turn ISO down on sunny days!); plus it has a fully manual option. Unfortunately it has me drooling over SLR.

I just got back from a semester in Australia, where I concluded that I MUST have something waterproof and digital (but inexpensive, or I wouldn't be able to afford a dive to use it on!). So I bought a VuPoint. It doesn't have active focus, but for what I paid ($70 inc. shipping) its not bad.

So, as I mentioned, I've been wanting an SLR. dSLR's are out until I have some money (as are newer model 35mm's, actually), so I located the Nikon SLR (Nikkormat FTN) that my dad inherited from my grandpa. It hasn't been used in 26 years at least, and dad told me it doesn't rewind right, but I tried out all the moving parts and they all move correctly, so I will be buying some film tomorrow and driving my friends nuts using it.

Anyway, that's my camera family: my main camera is the "Pana," the little Canon "Baby" for any activity I deem too dangerous for my Pana or where it would be too big, the VuPoint for underwater, and the Nikon... (I also found a Brownie in the cupboard... wonder where that came from...) I'll probably be hanging out over in the film camera/collector's area.

Greetings, all!
Mim

Welcome aboard.

Thanks all!

Most reactions

Back