ColinJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,I am more or less a newbie to this hobby,in the past I have used poor & shoot cameras,I am 74 years old so I'm a young one,I like to be active in the fresh air,I live in the Midlands so have good scenery around me,at the moment I like to walk my two dogs.
So first question is can anyone recommend a decent starter digital cameras

Colin

Hello and welcome.

For what you want, and providing income, either start with a Canon rebel or Nikon D5600...
There are also used alternatives that can start even lower.
or if you are midrange, a 70, 80D from Canon or Nikon D7200, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, etc.
Just depends on how simple or complex you want to get.

Halfway between complex & simple and good in good condition second hand one for starters,income wise I'm retired not poor and not rich,recently I have been into Amature Radio and model aircraft,but both are going down drain & and getting very expensive

So first question is can anyone recommend a decent starter digital cameras
What is your budget for this purchase?

Around £300-£400

Stick with the larger brands. You can still get support for many modern but older DSLRs.
Canon T series is also a good place to start.
If in the US, try KEH, or Adarama.
follow the rankiings and famaliarize yourself with the product lines a bit.

Ergo: Rebel for Canon the "Thousand " series with Nikon (D6000, D5000,) etc.

Sony is really good with sensors but pricey.

keep the lenses simple and stick with a "kit lens" for now.

Too bad they dont need many elmers anymore. but if the poo hits a revolving object, HAM will still be the go to.

Many thanks

I recommend a Canon rebel especially if your just getting into it, I still use a rebel and I find it suits my needs just fine. You can get a used rebel for as low as $80.00 Canadian money and you could buy a kit lens, such as an 18-55mm and start with that and as you get better and more advanced in it you still have plenty of money to buy a more specialized lens/camera for the type of photography you like to do. I started out with a cheap rebel and a kit lens and then after a while i realized that i really loved the photograph wildlife so i purchased a better suited lens for that purpose. That would be my recommendation but anyway welcome to the forum, im sure you will learn alot.

Raw Photographer.

I would recommend a used Nikon D 3400 and the starter kit zoom lens the 18 to 55 VR ..

A couple of years ago this outfit retailed new for US$400, and today used should be around $250. These are USA prices, but I expect that you should be able to get a similar deal on the used market in your area.

The Nikon D 3400 has an extremely good sensor in it, and it also shoots video, and it's a very good Picture taker in a fairly small and lightweight camera body, and it will use pretty much all the lenses which Nikon has made from 1959 to the present day, with varying degrees of automation.

I think it also depends on whether you want to use Canon or Nikon, i wouldn't recommend a third party camera body, but you could go into your local camera shop and ask to try a few different cameras and see which ones you like better like for instance the way it fits in your hand or how easy can you access the major buttons ect...

Thank all of you for your inputs, it's very good from you all of you

Welcome to the forum matt, glad to have you here.

Most reactions

Back