Newborn Advice/Tips? *no pics just ?s*

Eveamlizya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I've done pictures of my newborn, but my best friend's sister just had her baby boy and wants me to take his pictures this coming Saturday. He'll be 3 weeks old so I'm already a little nervous (my daughter was 3 weeks when I did her's and she was pretty fussy during them). I also tend to want to do too much for the time and energy I have. How many poses would you generally do for a 1-2 hour session? I know I want to definitely get close-ups of face, hands, feet, etc...but are there any other specifics I should get? I'm doing it for free so I don't want to worry with props (the mom told me to do whatever I wanted) so I'm just doing classic nude B&W stuff. I'll be bringing a black sheet, white sheet, and textural blanket along with my boppy. Is there anything else I may need? Also, I'm just starting out and don't have any lighting equipment and I usually shoot outside in natural light. Is there any make-shift lighting tips you could give me to make sure there aren't any horrid shadows from just the ceiling fan light...?

Any and all tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Find a big window with the light spilling in and use that for your lighting. You can reflect the light back onto the baby to help fill in shadows. You don't need anything fancy either to reflect the light, really anything flatish and white can be used to fill in some shadows. :) Hope that helps!!

Personally, I would not use the sheets. Use natural light and as much DoF as you can.

I'm using the sheets to lay over my boppy (it's pink lol) and whatever I may be shooting on (floor, table, bed).

...What is DoF?

My first newborn was not long ago, I positioned a bean bag chair 5' from a open window that had soft white curtains to soften the light. I had several colored and textured fabric I was going to use but settled on one fuzzy black style and shot images and position out of that. I ended with close to 150 images and maybe 20 poses. I used very little flash and cranked up the iso between 800 and 1600. Also make sure roon is warm, really warm 85 degrees. Baby is fed, burped and dozing off. Here's a link to my newborn shoot. Fallis Fotos´s photostream on FlickeFlu
On top of your boppy (assuming this a bean bag type item) lay a plastic sheet then a thick towel with the chosen color of material on top, pull the backside of the material up and over chairs then clamp them for back ground. Be prepared for peeing and pooping and keep distractions to a minimum, such as Grandma and Grandpa visiting.

Last edited:
Vtf I like the texture of the blanket in your newborn photos!

Vtf - The textured blanket I have is very similar to that one...which is why I'm loving the idea of using it.

I'm also thinking of picking up a package of puppy training pads to lay underneath the sheets and blanket I have. I certainly don't want my boppy getting peed on Lol.

Space heater for cozy warmth and white noise, swaddle snugly, if you have an iPad/iPod I have several white noise apps.

Don't use indoor lights! Near a bright window but out of direct light works well.

Don't shoot up noses- it can be hard to remember when you're shooting and trying to get all angles.

I like using props but try to keep the focus on the baby- (I know you said it was a boy, but when newborn baby girls have a bow or flower bigger than their head it's distracting).

In post processing pay attention to re skin and baby scratches. If you use photoshop and are familiar with actions I have several free ones that help with red and blotchy baby skin.

If laying baby on his side, tuck some tissues under the blanket under his cheek, otherwise you'll get baby with a face that looks half squished (because, well, they're squishy).

Check out YouTube for newborn posing (but take the videos with a grain of salt and use your own discretion).

I don't mean to be insulting here and assume you already know this much, but for the benefit of lurkers/those who may not know, look up composite shots- that's where several shots are used (with an assistant in constant contact of baby) then images are merged together to produce the finished image. Never prop baby and try to shoot "fast, before they flop over". (you wouldn't believe how many times I've heard someone say that!)

When in doubt, clone it out:
52e010fa.jpg

Never use glass to put baby in or try to hang them from something- classic shots are usually the safest. :)

If you don't already, insure yourself. Friends or not, if something happens to baby it won't matter how good of friends you are.

Last edited:
Space heater for cozy warmth and white noise, swaddle snugly, if you have an iPad/iPod I have several white noise apps.

Don't use indoor lights! Near a bright window but out of direct light works well.

Don't shoot up noses- it can be hard to remember when you're shooting and trying to get all angles.

I like using props but try to keep the focus on the baby- (I know you said it was a boy, but when newborn baby girls have a bow or flower bigger than their head it's distracting).

In post processing pay attention to re skin and baby scratches. If you use photoshop and are familiar with actions I have several free ones that help with red and blotchy baby skin.

If laying baby on his side, tuck some tissues under the blanket under his cheek, otherwise you'll get baby with a face that looks half squished (because, well, they're squishy).

Check out YouTube for newborn posing (but take the videos with a grain of salt and use your own discretion).

I don't mean to be insulting here and assume you already know this much, but for the benefit of lurkers/those who may not know, look up composite shots- that's where several shots are used (with an assistant in constant contact of baby) then images are merged together to produce the finished image. Never prop baby and try to shoot "fast, before they flop over". (you wouldn't believe how many times I've heard someone say that!)

When in doubt, clone it out:
52e010fa.jpg

Never use glass to put baby in or try to hang them from something- classic shots are usually the safest. :)

If you don't already, insure yourself. Friends or not, if something happens to baby it won't matter how good of friends you are.

+1 times a billion!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great advice.

Vtf I like the texture of the blanket in your newborn photos!

I went into the fabric store looking for Oscar or Cookie Monster fur in black. I think I got it. It's got texture and I had to have texture.

Most reactions

Back