Newborn idea- does it work?

I would think that if you are traveling to unknown locations with unknown conditions, to shoot infants, you would want to bring some off camera lighting. It just makes sense to be able to rely on your equipment vs their ambient light.

I would think that if you are traveling to unknown locations with unknown conditions, to shoot infants, you would want to bring some off camera lighting. It just makes sense to be able to rely on your equipment vs their ambient light.

I think in the future I will be bringing at the very least a good speedlight to bounce from the ceiling. It's worked so well up until now, finding a nice sunny window for great natural light..this was the first time I've run into a problem.

So many things just went badly. I had ordered a hand knit hat and bamboo floor mat for this shoot, but they didn't arrive in time... I didn't bring off camera lighting..the baby did NOT want to sleep and was wiggly/fussy the whole time. His mom fed him, changed him, rocked him, but he just didn't want to have his pictures done, lol. A huge contrast from the nearly comatose newborns I've shot up until now ;)

I just felt sick last night going over the pictures =( This was the "best" from the set..and it still looks awful >< Lesson learned, I hope. I did offer the mother a re-shoot at no charge, and am waiting to hear back from her. But chances are, she will "love" these pictures even though I know they could have been so much better.

4808993070_165bda4eb4.jpg

I agree with the funeral comments....and it kind of seems like the head is placed awkwardly, and he/she looks VERY uncomfortable.... maybe it's just the angle.

Thanks for commenting, all. I took the pictures down for now and would delete them from this thread if I could. I just feel awful and discouraged about this whole shoot in general. =(

Thanks for commenting, all. I took the pictures down for now and would delete them from this thread if I could. I just feel awful and discouraged about this whole shoot in general. =(

I think you are trying to make the shots too fancy sometimes less is more, keep it simple

Aww! Don't get discouraged! The fun is in the experimenting to see what works and what doesnt! :)

Clearly, this was a learning experience. Don't get discouraged. You tried something new,and got feedback on it, and so, a new level of understanding was achieved. You also learned how very difficult and uncertain it can be to depend on Mother Nature as one's only source of light. All in all, this has to be chalked up to be a good learning experience. The attitude and demeanor you handled it with was admirable. I'm sure we have all been there, in the same kind of situation. We're all pulling for you, A.

Clearly, this was a learning experience. Don't get discouraged. You tried something new,and got feedback on it, and so, a new level of understanding was achieved. You also learned how very difficult and uncertain it can be to depend on Mother Nature as one's only source of light. All in all, this has to be chalked up to be a good learning experience. The attitude and demeanor you handled it with was admirable. I'm sure we have all been there, in the same kind of situation. We're all pulling for you, A.

Thanks, Derrel. =)

You're right.. I did learn a lot from this, and I cemented my plans of investing in off camera lighting- which I wasn't sure before that I would need until now. I think I'll be much more prepared for the next shoot, and I still had a great time photographing this little guy despite the outcome. I think it's so easy to get caught up in making everything just right that you can easily forget WHY you're doing it in the first place.

I ll take down my edited versions for you.

I did a shoot and instead of buying an expensive Bamboo floor mat, I just went to home depot, bought a box (24 square feet) of Brazilian cherry laminate wooden flooring, and linked it together..For 24 dollars, you can't beat it!

Anyway..

Honestly..These pictures don't look too bad to me. I guess it's just the person..I guarantee they look a lot better to the person receiving them too..Since they're better quality than a point and shoot camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back