Newborn Photo Critique

birdfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like some critique on this newborn photo. This is my daughter so of course I love it, but any suggestions on what I could do better. I had lots of natural light coming in from a window to her left and I also used 1 off camera flash.

Can't remember what settings I used at the moment. I work nightshirt and I'm laying in bed now. I'm just wanting to know what things I could do better?? Thanks in advance!

$image-472492089.jpg

I find the blanket / background too distracting... too busy. Lighting is a little harsher than needed... highlights are a touch bright, and that shadow on the belly / chest is a little dark. Looks like focus, white balance was ok, though.

cute baby, cute pose, a bit overexposed, I think, not specifically sharp.
Why is he lying vertically? It doesn't look natural.
If you don't 'save for web', all your settings will be embedded in the picture itself.

image-472492089kkkk_zps28088ffd.jpg

Notice the left leg and arm are reflecting the blanket a lot, making babies skin appear pink. It's also (though not as bad) noticeably on the face.

Fair skin reflects the colors around it, reds and greens tending to be the worst. As Charlie suggested, something lighter and less bold would work much better.

Turn your strobes down and shoot wide open and focus on the face and the busy background will get drastically blurred.
If its natural light then just shoot wide open. seem to work best for babies IMHO.

Turn your strobes down and shoot wide open and focus on the face and the busy background will get drastically blurred.
If its natural light then just shoot wide open. seem to work best for babies IMHO.

The baby is laying on a blanket...drastically blurred from wide open? Doubtful, unless he/she is shooting with a f/.95 lens lol. In that case, the babie's nose or eyes would be in focus and nothing else.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree at all with this advice.

Personally, I think the pose/outfit is cute and even though it looks awkward, it seems on par with poses on other baby shots I've seen. A reflector on left side of the baby to lighten up the shadows on the tummy/hand caused by his leg would have been helpful

Thanks for the critique everyone. cgipson- i didn't use any modifier, so I'm assuming that's why the light is so harsh.
traveler- thanks! and like geaux said, it's just how I've seen other newborn poses done.
jowensphoto- i'll keep that in mind, thanks.
ewick- thanks for you opinion, but I don't think shooting wide open is the best thing for me here, because then I wouldn't have as much of the photo in focus.
geaux- never used a reflector before, but that makes a lot of since. thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back