Newborn Photography - feedback please!

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My second daughter was born two weeks ago and these are some of my favorites from the two mini photoshoots I've done so far. I have several acquaintances who are making a little side money with newborn photography, and it's something I have considered too. I personally believe my shots are just as good as theirs, but I want to know what y'all think. I was thinking of starting with something pretty cheap while I polish up my skills...like maybe $50 per shoot and I'll just give them all photos on a CD. It may not be much money, but I could at least gain experience doing it.

I also would appreciate any C&C on the individual photos. These are 5 of my favorites and the rest can be seen at Mollie - a set on Flickr if you want to check them out to give me a more informed opinion.

I couldn't decide on which forum to post these - beginner's or people photography - so if a mod wants to move it that's fine.

TIA!

1. 40 mm, f2.8, ISO 640, 1/125 s, aperture priority
6054472195_3b56af70d1_z.jpg

2. 50mm, f4.5, ISO 640, 1/40 s, aperture priority
6055062258_c291f76294_z.jpg

3. 35mm, f2.8, ISO 200, 1/30 sec, aperture priority
6054384109_faedc0c2b6_z.jpg

4. 30mm, f2.8, ISO 200, 1/80 s, aperture priority
6054369509_457b529cbf_z.jpg

5. 18mm, f7.1, ISO 500, 1/20 s, aperture priority
6054901996_6b73076f04_z.jpg

Dear baby in my wife's belly,

I promise not to put you in a bucket just to take your picture.

Love,

Daddy

Okay on a serious note, first congrats on your newborn! My second daughter is due in November.

I'm not fond of the inked-up feet shot - I was actually a little repulsed until I realized what was going on there. I'm not sure the shallow DOF was your friend there.

I love the second shot, but I really wish more of the baby's face was brighter and/or in focus. It's a sweet moment and I see what you were going for, and actually I can live with the DOF in this one, but more light on the baby's face would have helped, in my opinion.

#3 and #5 would look better in portrait orientation, and #5 needs to be rotated clockwise so it's level. You might also want to burn the light on the arm and torso of the person holding the baby in #3, as most of the shots of this type that I've seen tend to keep the baby very isolated and "floating."

#4 is okay but could stand to be warmed up a bit.

Overall, are you ready to charge people? I guess that depends on the people. To be brutally honest, if these were the portfolio shots you showed me, I probably wouldn't be super-impressed, but people who are less immersed in photography tend to have lower expectations as well. I think you have potential, but you need a little more practice. Fortunately, with a brand-new newborn of your very own, you have a subject that you can practice on as much as you want and she's not going to complain any louder than she already complains about poopy diapers.

So that's my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Dear baby in my wife's belly,

I promise not to put you in a bucket just to take your picture.

Love,

Daddy
:lmao:

Yeah...I've noticed that too! She just had a sweet little face. I would rather have had something like a basket...at least something comfortable...but that was the only thing that was the appropriate size.

Anyway...thanks for the brutal honesty. That's exactly what I wanted. We have several close friends who are pregnant and if they don't mind I'm hoping to be able to take some shots of their kids for the experience. These shots are from the first time I've really tried to take newborn pictures, so I should only get better from here.

I know I don't want to be those who simply calls myself a photographer because I have a big camera with those swappable lenses!

Most reactions

Back