Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

My bestfriend is having her baby at the end of December. She wants me to go up to the hospital to take all the pictures for them since none of them are computer or picture savy. I read online for tips on great shots, but I am wondering if my lenses will be good enough in low light settings?

I read to (obviously) not use your built-in flash because it will hurt their new little eyes, so I'm not sure if the lens will be fast enough without a tripod (which I want to avoid).

I can maybe afford a speedlight to bounce the flash, but I don't think I can afford another lens right now (still recovering from the 70-300).

Any suggestions?

I read that the 50mm f/1.8D AF is a great lens and is within my price range (vs. a speedlight). Would this be a good option for me? It specifically states that it is great for low light situations.

Get the 50mm lens and bump up the ISO if you still need more exposure. I love my nifty 50. :) It should be cheaper than the flash as well.

Maybe I missed something, but December is still 11 months away...is there some new trick I'm not aware of? ;)

Maybe Lyncca's best friend is an elephant. A female elephant has a 22 month pregnancy.

I wish I had an elephant as my best friend. It'd be like living in a Disney cartoon!

Get the 50mm lens and bump up the ISO if you still need more exposure. I love my nifty 50. :) It should be cheaper than the flash as well.

Maybe I missed something, but December is still 11 months away...is there some new trick I'm not aware of? ;)

:lol: Yea, it's called typos. She is due at the end of Feb...

Thanks for the help, and I saw its cheap! I just spoke to a coworker that is taking our corporate pics and he highly recommends it. He said he uses it constantly for low-light situations.

A 'fast' lens, like the 50mm F1.8 will allow you to shoot in lower light situation...and bumping up the ISO will help as well.

I'm not sure how much a flash would really hurt the baby...as long as you don't blast them in the face with it. If you did have a flash, either of your current lenses would do just fine. Just point it at the ceiling or one of the walls and snap away.

Whatever you do, I suggest shooting in RAW because the light temp may be all over the scale and you will want to be able to adjust your WB after the shoot.

Aren't babies born more or less blind? I doubt flash would hurt them at all. This from a man... so take that info with a grain of salt... lol

The 50mm F/1.8 is good in low light, HOWEVER, if you use it at F/1.8, the DOF is razor thin. You will likely end up using it somewhere between F/2.8 and F/4 just so that you can get a face in focus.

At F/1.8, if you are close, it would be easy for the eyes to be in focus and the nose blurred!

This is one time I will not ask to see pics of the results... lmao.

I'd say ony one of those is flashed, the rest are definately all ambient, or if an off camera flash was used, it was very, very subtly done. Ambient pics will give you better results anyway unless you are good with off camera strobes.

The 50mm F/1.8 is perfect for the close-ups where one can really take advantage of the shallow depth of field.

If you get that 50mm, you may want to practice with it a little before using it for something as important as this. BTW, I initially thought you meant pics taken while IN the operating room during the birth... hence why I said "This is one time I will not ask to see pics of the results..." :lol:

Since I now see the kind of pics you want to take... please post the results if you get permission, I would love to see them! I would love to get an opportunity such as this. :wink:

Thanks Jerry! I think I will be getting this lens -- I just got birthday money (Happy Birthday to me!)

I will definately practice beforehand. It looks like my poor unsuspecting dogs and husband get to model again! :p

Whatever you do, I suggest shooting in RAW because the light temp may be all over the scale and you will want to be able to adjust your WB after the shoot.

I used RAW for the first time the other day and LOVED the flexibility I had in PS. I doubt I will shoot in anything else now. As great as it is to shoot perfect photography that doesn't need any adjustments, I don't think I will be there in the next, say, decade, two? SO, till then, RAW it is!

Thanks Jerry! I think I will be getting this lens -- I just got birthday money (Happy Birthday to me!)

I will definately practice beforehand. It looks like my poor unsuspecting dogs and husband get to model again! :p

Well Happy Birthday to you! :) Must feel nice to finally turn 21. :p

the flash wont hurt their eyes at all

Most reactions

New Topics

Back