NewBorn Photography

pixmedic lifestlye is not for everyone that is for sure. I personally do not like traditional portraits. And certainly if I am paying someone hundreds of dollars to photograph my newborn I want those photographs to bring back sweet memories of a time that passed too quickly. Photographs that document REAL life, real feelings, and photos that invoke real emotions etc. I don't like perfect photos. And I enjoy using light creatively to create mood in my photos. And I enjoy the challenge of creating images totally unique to the family. But that is me, that is MY style. :)

why is exactly why I am a HUGE fan of people doing what works for them, and NOT what other people tell them is "correct".
I love formality. i love long formal names that don't get shortened down to something else, formal dining that requires a coat and tie, and formal portraits where I have to drag around a bunch of lighting equipment, set up backgrounds, and pose the family...right down to the family dog.

View attachment 33566

why is exactly why I am a HUGE fan of people doing what works for them, and NOT what other people tell them is "correct".
I love formality. i love long formal names that don't get shortened down to something else, formal dining that requires a coat and tie, and formal portraits where I have to drag around a bunch of lighting equipment, set up backgrounds, and pose the family...right down to the family dog.

Yes do what you like! Do what you love :) I am sooooooo not formal, in any way/shape/or form :lol:

I must be missing something...I am unfamiliar with lifestyle photography. will have to look it up when I get the chance.
but I dont understand how a random picture of a baby doing whatever it happens to be doing at the time is MORE meaningful than a nicely set up and posed formal-style portrait? its like saying a snapshot of my wife in the yard coming back from checking the mail is better than her getting dressed up, posed nice, and having formal portraits taken for me. personally, im just not seeing the appeal.
when we do portraits for anyone, we have 2-3 speedlights with softboxes/umbrellas set up for lighting control. even for outdoor stuff.
Are we doing too much work for just portraits?

edit: Wikipedia is pretty much mum on the subject. gonna try youtube and see what its all about.

It is about capturing the connections between the parents and their new baby with their own surroundings. Like this. photograph newborns with a lifestyle perspective photography tutorial

I appreciate the link, and I think I now understand the concept of "lifestyle" photography, but if that is a good sample of what typical lifestyle baby photography looks like, I think we will stick to having proper lighting equipment on hand.
lot of blown highlights from the light coming in from the window, uneven lighting, shadows, and a few that really should have been shot stopped down more, but im guessing that it wasn't possible with just the natural light from the window.

I am a HUGE advocate of people doing whatever works for them, But I think I will personally stick to lugging around several lighting stands, speedlights, triggers, and umbrellas/softboxes so I can use a smaller aperture when I need to, and have control over the lighting. So far, that is what is working for us, and we get good results with it. your mileage, obviously, may vary.

I understand what you are saying. It can be very hard to go into peoples homes and expect to have this amazing light and a nice place to shoot, but unfortunately it is very challenging. You never know what you are going to walk into. It can really be stressful, and you have to be prepared for any lighting situation. Especially when you have an uncooperative baby! :) That photographer who I linked you to earlier is incredible. His clients invest between $1000-$3000 for a session. His work is really amazing. But, yep, it is one type of photography I never want to get back into. I love the outcome, but I like to know what I am in for before hand. Here is a link to that guys website. Look at the picture of the pregnant ballet teacher. Beautiful! NYC Baby, Family & Maternity Photographer | Michael Kormos, New York. Maternity photographer, baby photography, and family photography NYC

I purchased a small personal heater from walmart for $6 or so. Cheap and keeps the area warm around the baby, and doesn't overheat the entire room. Keep wipes and towels handy because it can get messy ;)
Props are great but don't over do them, capture fingers and toes and any expression the baby may make.
Skin smoothing, and fixing minor blemishes is great, but try to make it look natural and not over do it.
expect to be there for a while, you may need to take breaks esp if the baby is fussy. It is best to do a newborn shoot between the first two weeks of its life, that is when they like to sleep the most. HTH

Most reactions

Back