Newborn Photoshoot HELP

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

My sister-in-law is due one month from today, and I will be shooting the newborn pictures. I have never done a newborn shoot before, and I need as much advice as possible. A few things I have done my research on, is to be sure baby has been fed and burped before pictures, make sure the baby is warm, and for all of us, to have sufficient (to say the least) lighting. They have great natural lighting in their house, so I'm not too concerned there.

My biggest concerns are the poses, moving the baby around without it becoming a problem. I'd like my new niece/nephew (they're waiting) to be comfy and happy! And also, what do photographers do about poops/pee during a session? Haha . . . weird question, I'm aware.

Thanks so much for your help!

One big thing I noticed is to not use strobes with newborns. It aggravates them, which makes it harder to take photos.

Also, I tend to have the baby be who they are. If you try to pose them in awkward ways, then they will get angry and make the shoot even worse.

Hopefully more people will give you some input.

I use my speedlight, but on very low power so it just supplements natural light and I'm able to keep my ap at f4 and my shutter speed at 1/200 most of the time....

Do it before they are 10 days old.

For pee/poop, you just deal with it. Make sure everything you use is washable. If pee/poop is going to gross you out, don't photograph a newborn because while I've only been pooped on once, I'm peed on almost every baby.

Get puppy pads. You know those training puppy pads, and layer your blankets, so when baby pees, you just remove the soiled blanket and the puppy pad... it doesnt go to the next layer of blanket.

:)

Hi, i'm only a photography lover and now i'm expecting my first baby, a girl!
I'm curious about flashlights. I have a canon and want to know what flah should i get to take pictures of my baby. If anyone could help me, i would appreciate it.
Thank you.

One big thing I noticed is to not use strobes with newborns. It aggravates them, which makes it harder to take photos.

Also, I tend to have the baby be who they are. If you try to pose them in awkward ways, then they will get angry and make the shoot even worse.

Hopefully more people will give you some input.

Bad advice.
1 - Babies don't really get aggravated w/strobes once they are asleep.
2 - Poses are what makes a great newborn portrait. If we just had them be theirself and just lay there arms and legs stretched out IMO it doesn't make for a good portrait. Posing comes EASY when they are asleep.... but getting them to sleep is the hard part!

Thank you all for your help. Still a couple weeks til the due date, so just getting myself ready!

I recently purchased a saucer shaped bean bag to put the baby on for pictures. Do you think that it will be comfortable enough? I wasn't quite sure what people use.

I also see that in newborn photography, the babies are nude - would you all say that's the way to go? I was told it's because the diaper and clothes are distracting? I'm okay with this, just wanted to hear some confirmation.

Thanks again!

My simple advice (I've only photographed my own daughter, so it might not apply for other babies): once babies are fed and have burped they tend to start sleeping within some minutes. If so, place them on a well lit, but not harshly lit, cozy place. Then take your pictures.
If the newborn doesn't want to sleep, have mum or dad play with him just out of the frame of your camera. Might look strange for an onlooker, but who cares?

Regards,

Joe

Most reactions

Back