Newborn session coming...help!

amandalee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine recently asked me to take pictures of her newborn.... I've done this alot in the studio that I worked for but never freelance... What lighting will I need to get that wonderful creamy skin newborns are known for? What is the best lense to use on a newborn? Thanks guys!

If I had to choose a lens out of the thousands available today, I might go with the Nikkor 85mm 1.4G- now you might not have that lens, or you may not even shoot Nikon, so a little more info would help a lot here.

As for lighting. Think big and soft. One studio strobe into a large softbox would be ideal for a main light. Separation between the subject and background is also a good idea.

p!nK

Thanks. I actually shoot Canon. All I have at the moment is a Rebel T1i.

Do you have a shoe-mount flash unit (a Canon 430 or 580? or a Chinese cheapie,perhaps?) which can be bounced off of the ceiling, or off of a nearby white wall? Bouncing a flash off of a large, white wall or white ceiling can create pretty soft, diffused light. You can use any lens that will get the job done. Lots of soft, light-colored baby blankets or throws can help convey a soft, baby-like feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back