Newborn session dilemma

sharpiegoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An old friend from the forces is due on the 11th and she's just asked me to do her portraits a few days ago. She's still enlisted so two of the shots I'm getting are for my portfolio and will be her son wrapped up in her ACU jacket and the other nestled atop her duffle bag. Here's the problems I'm having...

A. Right now I'm still working with my Rebel T3i. I have my MkIII pre-ordered but "end of March 2012" doesn't sound promising. I have my 50mm f1.2L which helps a lot but since this is portfolio work I'm wondering if I should wait. Waiting would mean her son is almost 3 weeks old by the time I get to him (if he's on time.)

B. The backdrop I want to use going to take 1-3 processing days and however long for shipping but for financial reasons I can't even place my order for it until the 16th. I could instead purchase a regular american flag and "half-@$$" it. Waiting could mean her son is almost 2 weeks old (if he's on time and I don't wait on my camera.) ALSO if I were to use a regular flag, how could I give it the old/vintage look that the backdrop has without disgrace or long hours in PP? Maybe masking or a gel on the backdrop light?

Time is everything when it comes to newborns and I really make every effort to book them before they're ten days old. I can't remember how much bigger/tolerant my son was when he was 3 weeks and I'm worried that's pushing it for most newborn shots. But I want to give them the best photos and come away with portfolio worthy stuff.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from those with newborn experience.

3 weeks is definitely pushing it. You could always get lucky and have an extremely cooperative 3 week old, but the older they get, the more and more you gamble it. I'm not familiar with Canon, but your current body should be sufficient, especially with your lens. As for the background, you could get a regular American flag and photograph as you would (I'm sure you are aware of the guidelines for photographing the flag), I have found some pretty awesome free grunge brushes for photoshop by just Googling that same phrase. A couple of clicks should be all you need once you get familiar with how it works. Definitely not hours. You should end up with a nice old/vintage look without spending too much time in post.

Hope that helps some.

3 weeks is definitely pushing it. You could always get lucky and have an extremely cooperative 3 week old, but the older they get, the more and more you gamble it. I'm not familiar with Canon, but your current body should be sufficient, especially with your lens. As for the background, you could get a regular American flag and photograph as you would (I'm sure you are aware of the guidelines for photographing the flag), I have found some pretty awesome free grunge brushes for photoshop by just Googling that same phrase. A couple of clicks should be all you need once you get familiar with how it works. Definitely not hours. You should end up with a nice old/vintage look without spending too much time in post.

Hope that helps some.

It does.
I just emailed her asking about the flag. I didn't think about that. :er:

You are apparently acting as a PRO... since you "schedule" newborn sessions! So Act Like a PRO.. just make it happen, Get the job done... period. Do whatever it takes.. including telling your friend that you can't do it if necessary! That is what PRO's do! :)

If you are using it for portfolio work, you gotta be prepared and do what is needed. You can't wing it. If you aren't prepared, you shouldn't do it.
Do you have any lighting ? If you want to be creative and use natural window lighting, you can always use a black sheet and some towels or something. Be creative. It may mean stepping and thinking outside the box to go with a different route with what you originally had in mind.

If you are using it for portfolio work, you gotta be prepared and do what is needed. You can't wing it. If you aren't prepared, you shouldn't do it.
Do you have any lighting ? If you want to be creative and use natural window lighting, you can always use a black sheet and some towels or something. Be creative. It may mean stepping and thinking outside the box to go with a different route with what you originally had in mind.

I went back and checked her threads. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...orum/275483-studio-lighting-troubleshoot.html > First post below:

Hey everyone. I'm new here but I desperately need some advice. I've been shooting for over eight years, been in studio for 3, but I'm completely new to strobes and triggers. I'm shooting in a home studio that is about 10x12.

So I picked up two of Calumet's Genesis 400s and Calumet's 4-channel transmitter(x1) and receivers (x3). I have a receiver on each light and one to use to trigger my camera if I so choose to. I am getting two different results between triggering my camera wirelessly (receiver on camera) and taking the photo myself (transmitter on camera.)

When I take the photo myself and the transmitter is on the camera my pictures are coming out almost completely white or completely black depending on the settings. No matter how fast my shutter speed is or anything else the image is rotten. It also does this in every mode even Auto.

When I have the receiver on the camera and am triggering it wirelessly the photo comes out just okay. It seems as though it's missing the flash because I'm picking up identical white balances as the modeling lamp. BUT there IS an actual image like this.

This two part test was taken with identical settings, identical positions, identical light settings, both NOT in live mode, etc etc.

My lights I just can't seem to figure out. I was up nearly all night trying to piece together what Full vs. Proportional means and if this has anything to do with my problem but no matter what I changed to experiment I got the same results. I've tried putting my flash power from 10 to 50, my modeling lamp from 10 to 50, full and prop, nothing fixes it.

Can anyone figure out what's happening to me? Is it my lights or the transmitter or my brain? Thanks. :confused:

I went back and checked her threads. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...orum/275483-studio-lighting-troubleshoot.html > First post below:

Hey everyone. I'm new here but I desperately need some advice. I've been shooting for over eight years, been in studio for 3, but I'm completely new to strobes and triggers. I'm shooting in a home studio that is about 10x12.

So I picked up two of Calumet's Genesis 400s and Calumet's 4-channel transmitter(x1) and receivers (x3). I have a receiver on each light and one to use to trigger my camera if I so choose to. I am getting two different results between triggering my camera wirelessly (receiver on camera) and taking the photo myself (transmitter on camera.)

When I take the photo myself and the transmitter is on the camera my pictures are coming out almost completely white or completely black depending on the settings. No matter how fast my shutter speed is or anything else the image is rotten. It also does this in every mode even Auto.

When I have the receiver on the camera and am triggering it wirelessly the photo comes out just okay. It seems as though it's missing the flash because I'm picking up identical white balances as the modeling lamp. BUT there IS an actual image like this.

This two part test was taken with identical settings, identical positions, identical light settings, both NOT in live mode, etc etc.

My lights I just can't seem to figure out. I was up nearly all night trying to piece together what Full vs. Proportional means and if this has anything to do with my problem but no matter what I changed to experiment I got the same results. I've tried putting my flash power from 10 to 50, my modeling lamp from 10 to 50, full and prop, nothing fixes it.

Can anyone figure out what's happening to me? Is it my lights or the transmitter or my brain? Thanks. :confused:

Yes. I've always preferred natural light (even on location in my client's homes). When I started studio work 3 years ago I used continuous lighting. I've been working with my new lighting and finally figured it out I needed to switch to a wired remote.
There's nothing I can't stand more than people who take the extra time out of their day to go digging up dirt on the people who post threads just to pick a fight or cut them down.
So what exactly is your point here? I asked for creative advice and/or advice from someone with experience with older babies and you have given me neither.

Yes. I've always preferred natural light (even on location in my client's homes). When I started studio work 3 years ago I used continuous lighting. I've been working with my new lighting and finally figured it out I needed to switch to a wired remote.
There's nothing I can't stand more than people who take the extra time out of their day to go digging up dirt on the people who post threads just to pick a fight or cut them down.
So what exactly is your point here? I asked for creative advice and/or advice from someone with experience with older babies and you have given me neither.

I was merely giving Mach0 some information... if you feel inadequate about that, that isn't my problem! Since that post was nine days ago... you are probably an expert by now, anyway! :) Do you have a problem with my highlighting and emphasizing your experience, in your own words?

I would use what you have, your current body and lens should be more than adequate for portraits of a week old baby. Waiting so you can possibly use a body you wont be used to seems like a bad idea. If nothing else, shoot when he's a week old, then do another shoot at 3 months old with your new camera and backdrop.

cgipson1 said:
I was merely giving Mach0 some information... if you feel inadequate about that, that isn't my problem! Since that post was nine days ago... you are probably an expert by now, anyway! :) Do you have a problem with my highlighting and emphasizing your experience, in your own words?

Your "highlighting and emphasizing" appeared to be an attempted statement that my lack of experience with flash makes me inadequate.

If you understand lighting and are dedicated new equipment is not difficult to figure out. The post you dug up was a technical difficulty.

I still don't understand why you've felt the need to hijack my thread and ever so subtly attack me. I asked for input on how I could go about replicating a backdrop, of it would be in my best interest to makeshift at all, and if it would be pushing it to wait three weeks with a newborn. Somehow you felt the need to bring up my inexperience with flash and spin everything in a direction to say I'm inadequate in your sarcastic little way.

No one is perfect. Not even those who have been doing this for 20 or 30 years. Now either offer me some of your invaluable advice that fits in the realm of my question or go pick on someone your own perceived size.

Bossy said:
I would use what you have, your current body and lens should be more than adequate for portraits of a week old baby. Waiting so you can possibly use a body you wont be used to seems like a bad idea. If nothing else, shoot when he's a week old, then do another shoot at 3 months old with your new camera and backdrop.

Thanks, Bossy. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll have to grab those brushes mentioned before and I think it'll all turn out fine.

Ah, the ole " I've always preferred natural light", otherwise known as, "flashes is too hard for meeee"...

"Right now I'm still working with my Rebel T3i. I have my MkIII pre-ordered but "end of March 2012" doesn't sound promising. I have my 50mm f1.2L which helps a lot but since this is portfolio work I'm wondering if I should wait. Waiting would mean her son is almost 3 weeks old by the time I get to him (if he's on time.)"

Funny how you haven't even said why your current camera is an issue.

Most reactions

Back