Newby question

Vandergriff101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. I am new to the photography scene and I have a question. I bought a Nikon D5100 to record and take pictures of my daughter in marching band and her band competitions on football fields. My question is, which lens do I need to buy to be able to get the best picture and video quality without breaking the bank? I will be towards the top of the bleachers which is not very far away in a high school stadium. I was thinking a wide angle lens would work, but as I learn more, I think I am wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, wondering where I might find a microphone for this camera that would be to sit at the bottom at the stands and record the band to my camera as I record the video. Trying to block out the noise of the people in the stands. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you want to get more 'close up' photos of her, or do you want photos of the whole band as they are on the field? If you want to get close up, then you will want a telephoto lens...something with a longer focal length. 200mm, 300mm etc.
The opposite of that would be a wide angle lens, which would give you a wider view. These have a shorter focal length, 10mm, 18mm etc.

I don't know much about microphones, but a quick search turned up this comparison of wireless mics (I'm sure that a wireless set up could be problematic, but I doubt you want to run a cord through the stands).

200-300 on a lens. I will be roughly 15-20 yards away fro the field and up higher. For the microphone, I wouldn't be opposed to running a cord down under the stands and up to railing.

Big Mike. I know this going to tough, but I want to get a close up of her and then zoom back out and watch the whole band. I have seen a macro wide angle lens and it is cheap, which scares me, because I want the images and video to be HD or as good as I can get them. I don't have the budget to buy a higher grade camera right now.

Knowing how far you will be away, what camera you will be shooting with, and how large the subject is....... then it's simple math that will determine the optimum focal length.

Did your 5100 include a kit lens like the 18-55mm Nikkor?

OP,
I don't know anything about microphones but as for lenses did your camera come with a kit lens, something like 18-55 or similar? If so then use that for the wide shots, pair that with a 55-200 for the 'close up' shots, or 70-300 if you can find the funds. Gyms appear brightly lit but they really are not to a camera so don't be afraid to use the higher iso values of your camera. Better to have a properly exposed photo with a bit of sensor noise which can be dealt with, than an underexposed image with which you can't do much.

Big Mike. I know this going to tough, but I want to get a close up of her and then zoom back out and watch the whole band. I have seen a macro wide angle lens and it is cheap, which scares me, because I want the images and video to be HD or as good as I can get them. I don't have the budget to buy a higher grade camera right now.
When a lens says 'Macro', it just means that the lens has a shorter 'minimum focus distance'....so you could get the camera up close to a flower, for example.

If you want close up, as in zooming in from far away, then you want a telephoto with long focal length. You really won't find many options in your price range. Maybe something like these
Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens (Black)1928 B&H
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens for Nikon AF-D5A8306
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus LensAF017NII-700

So do you have the 18-55mm lens? Can you get a wide enough view with that lens? If so, you may just have to use two lenses and swap when needed.
You could get a lens with a greater zoom range, something like 18-200mm so that you don't have to swap lenses, but keep in mind that these lenses typically don't give as much image quality as lenses with less zoom.

There are plenty of options for wired microphones...you would just have to get an extension cord.
Microphones | B&H Photo Video

You can also get a refurbished 55-200 VR with warranty from Cameta for $125.

If you can go outside of your budget by $50 i would HIGHLY recommend the 70-300VR. It will have better image quality and faster focusing. Its $590 new but you can get a refurbished one for $350!!! Its an amazing deal on a great lens (there is a non VR verstion that is much cheaper but is horrible.. make sure its the VR one)!

Used Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED2161B
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR AF-S ED-IF Zoom Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I got my 70-300 vr for 416.00 plus taxes brand new. Just had to look out for a sale.

For daytime the 55-200 is a good suggestion. I do not think your budget will allow you to get good results at night under the lights on a football field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back