Newcomer looking for camera

Qcumber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys! I´m new to this forum and rather new to photography.
I´m saving up to buy me a good Canon but my wife keeps bugging me to buy something cheaper in the meantime so we can take pictures of our little girl:)

Anyways, i was offered this camera at a good price online:
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11531972/DV9000_12MP_Digital_Video_Camera_With_MP3_MP4.html

I just wanted to check if anyone here knew if this camera was worth buying. I´ve never heard of that brand. I´m not looking for anything too fancy right now, and i don´t really need the video feature.

Any advice is appreciated

Welcome to the forum.

The camera that you linked to is primarily a video camera, aren't you looking for a still camera?

Anyway, what's your budget? There are plenty of decent cameras available.

This being a photography forum, most of us are concerned about image quality more than other things. To this end, I usually recommend a Digital SLR camera. They are more expensive than what I call 'digi-cams' but they are a much better investment and much better cameras. For a beginner, I would recommend the Canon Rebel XTi or the Nikon D40.

Umm those are a little out of my price range right now. I will invest in one of those in the future but in the meantime i´m looking for a "digi-cam" to bridge the gap.

The specs say that it´s a 12 megapixel machine. I know it´s primarily marked as a video camera but do you think it can be used as a mediocre still?

To be honest...I know just about nothing about digital video cameras. However, from what I have seen...video cameras take horrible still shots and still cameras take horrible video.

If photos is what you want, get yourself a still camera. There are many many different models to choose from.

Hmmm, i really haven't heard much of that brand that you linked to. If your wanting to start off inexpensive, nikon and casio have some real nice pocket cameras $200 and below brand new. And if you want to be a real penny pincher, you can always go to ebay. My first digital camera was from there for 80 bucks and it works great! I still use it today for when i don't want to break out the big SLR.

To be honest...I know just about nothing about digital video cameras. However, from what I have seen...video cameras take horrible still shots and still cameras take horrible video.

If photos is what you want, get yourself a still camera. There are many many different models to choose from.
Here here Mike I agree multi-taskers usually don't do either thing well. Also anytime you come on here with such a wide open question as what to get we need a budget.

Most reactions

Back