• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why 2010

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
US-Canada-Canadian-Newfoundland-LH.gif

better

Newfoundland gets my vote. I was there in the mid-eighties and again in the mid-nineties photographing with large format equipment. Communities along the south shore are worth a visit (e.g., Rose Blanche and Isle aux Morts) as are those along the Northern Peninsula on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Gros Morne is beautiful, although fairly strenuous hiking is required to explore it fully. Taking the ferry across the Strait of Belle Isle from St. Barbe to Quebec's lower north shore and to Labrador is worthwhile if there's time. I've photographed icebergs near Capstan Island in July. It's light until ten o'clock in the evening then, and the possibilities for great architectural, landscape, and people photography are just about endless. The road system is now much improved and expanded in Labrador since I first visited, and a lot of effort has been invested in encouraging tourism since the collapse of the fishery.

Newfoundland...that's where I come from. I may be biased but it is a beautiful place. So many things to take great pictures of. As for the weather, right now they are having a fantastic July. Lots of sun and the temps in the mid to high 20's C.

A few years ago my daughter decided that she wanted to experience the university life in some other cities. One of the places she went was to Newfoundland for about 4 years. It is a photographers heaven and even though my daughter has since left NL I continue to go back often. I already had plans to spend most of next summer there and then I happened across this site and ultimately this thread.

When you go really depends on what you are looking to shoot. Heck, I even enjoyed the depths of winter which resulted in some great shots.

The icebergs (not a guarantee) are fantastic and can be viewed from many different areas in the province, even right in St. Johns if your transportation is limited. There is no shortage of companies that offer boat tours of them. I however, went down to an area called Quidi Vidi which has many fishermen and offered one of them some cash for a more up close experience. Simply amazing but these are traditionally gone by late June each year.

My personal photo subject is wildlife and nature. Being from land locked Alberta it offers many subject matters that I don't get here. One of the things that I do chase each year is the Atlantic Puffins but there presence is again pretty limited. I tried some of the commercial boat tours that take you to see these but was disappointed with the opportunities that they gave for serious photography. I go to Elliston or Bonavista and you can be within a couple hundred feet of them and the shooting opportunities are fantastic. Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve is absolutely worth the drive out there. Landscape photographers have plenty of great chances on the trips to these various spots.

I can't say enough about the province as a real great place for photographers. I know that there are many events in St. Johns but that has never been my thing. I was also underwhelmed by Gros Morne park. Maybe it is because of my proximity to the Rocky Mountains here. We all see the great shots of the fjords there but be warned that you don't get to see anything from the top unless you are willing to hike and camp to get there. I took the boat trip along the lake there to view them and they are nice.

I am already leading another small group there next year and will spend more time there than the rest of the group. I am more than willing to share my experiences from there. I have spent more time there and done more research on it than any other place I have visited.

^^^ It sounds like you, together with local photographers, will be an invaluable resource to help us plan this!!! Thanks so much. We will be in touch, for sure

I will be in Newfoundland and Labrador in mid July 2010.

skieur

Most reactions

Back