Next Canon Lens

With your budget and needs - outside portraits -, I'd get the 85mm 1.8, and either a reflector or (if you have enough money left) some off-camera fill flash.

By kit lens, I presume you mean the 18-50mm? So, you already have the wider range adequately covered (depending on your standards) - the 85 will give you a bit more working distance and quality.

My personal experience.

In the past, when I took photos of my family members outdoor, I used my 50mm lens. But later on, I found that I used my telephoto lens (70-300mm IS lens with focal length set from 70mm to 100mm) more often since the photos looked better for my taste especially the background isolation.

At the end, I bought the EF 85mm F/1.8 lens and it is even better. I just like the way the background looks with the 85m lens. And the color is better than my 50mm F/1.8 and telephoto lens. (of course, I can adjust it later on during PP).

So for outdoor portrait shots, the 85mm is my favorite lens.

sorry, by portrait i meant like senior photos etc. which are mainly taken outside, at least where I live. So no umbrellas etc. My bad
Still need for good lighting outside! Lots of uses for umbrellas, softboxes, wireless triggers etc outside.

sorry, by portrait i meant like senior photos etc. which are mainly taken outside, at least where I live. So no umbrellas etc. My bad

Umbrellas and lighting are just as important outside....

^Best answer in this thread.

Lighting is THE most important part of a portrait. Being outside does not mean you don't need some lighting equipment or at least a couple reflectors.

alright just ONE more question, and I'll stop bothering you guys.
What are your thoughts on the Sigma 105mm Macro? and in comparison to the Canon 85mm?

alright just ONE more question, and I'll stop bothering you guys.
What are your thoughts on the Sigma 105mm Macro? and in comparison to the Canon 85mm?

Well, If you need Macro, then for sure go with the Sigma. If you want a faster lens, then go with the 85mm F/1.8. If you want to use it for portrait lens, I will take the 85mm.

Actually, at one point, I own both lenses. (sold the Sigma a month of so ago) I bought the Sigma (used but in brand new condition) and want to compare it with my EF 100mm F/2.8 non-USM macro lens. The Sigma lens is very similar to my EF 100mm lens. Since the 100mm lens is the non-USM version, so the AF speed on both lens are some what the same. Nothing spectacular. But it seems faster than the Canon 50mm F/1.8.

However, when it compares to the 85mm lens which is a USM lens, the Sigma 105mm lens AF speed is slow. But for a Macro lens, I will not worry about it. The build quality of the Sigma 105mm lens is good (after all, it is the EX series from Sigma), but personally I like the Canon better when compare the Sigma with both 85mm and 100mm lenses I had.

At the end, I'd rather keep my 100mm Canon (even though it is a lot older) and sold the Sigma lens (did not lose any money).

Don't get me wrong, the Sigma is a great lens. If I do not have the Canon, I will for sure keep it. But I will not replace the 85mm Canon with it.

Here is a sample shot I took with the Sigma 105mm. (This is part of a Notebook memory module)
4113349699_7030b80f41.jpg

Last edited:
i would still invest in good lighting. fill flash adds pop to your photos.

reflectors too... if you dont want a flash.

good lighting is key to a good photograph no matter what lens you use :D

hey everyone, I bought the 85mm 1.8 today, and I'm LOVING it. it's going to be great :) thanks so much guys for the help

Most reactions

Back