Next Lens after Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by jeytee, Jan 23, 2018.

1. jeytee

jeytee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for lens to get after these 2 I originally had? Looking for something more flexible/ wide angled for landscape or general purpose with a budget of around 500CAD?

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What camera?

3. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    it all depends on what you want to shoot. I'd suggest you use these lenses and note when their speed or focal length is a limiting factor for the images you want. That will guide your choice better than any advice from us.

4. stk

stk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Crop or full frame?

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A larger range of choices open up if you do not have one of Nikon's "compact' DSLRS, the D3x00 and D5x00 series cameras that don't have Nikon's AF motor & screwdrive system in them. Otherwise you could consider Nikon AF-D lenses in addition to Nikon AF-S lenses.

A zoom lens in the 10 or 12 mm to 24 mm range would be useful for landscape, but are hard to come by for only $500 USD.
    For general & walk around I use an AF-D version, because I don't have a D3x00 or D5x00, Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR that also has a 1:2 macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm. Bought used good, clean, examples of that lens can be had for about $300.

In your price range, new, would be the Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR. Less if you buy used.

6. Garasaki

Garasaki TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I recently picked up a 24mm and a 15mm fisheye in almost exactly the same situation as you. I intend the 24mm to do what you use your 35mm for (24x1.5 is 36). The 85mm is my go to - lots of portrait shots. The 85 is just entirely the wrong lens for landscape style shots.

I use a crop sensor, by the way, D7100.

I haven't had a ton of opportunities to use them yet, but I did go landscaping with the 15mm Fisheye (Sigma) the other day (15x1.5 is 22mm, and the fisheye effect is not as wonderful on a crop sensor like I have....knew that going it). It worked very well for what I wanted to do - catch an expansive landscape scene:

[​IMG]