Next lens purchase

NE-KID

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys & Ladies :D,

What camera lens should I purchase next? I want to pick either the Nikkor AF-S DX 50mm 1.8g or the Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm lens, From what I hear and see on YouTube the 55-300mm is only good for shooting far objects or sports? Is that correct or no?

Since I see your statement about "shooting sexy bokeh" then it would be in your best interest to go with the 50, especially if you are doing mostly portrait work.

I was thinking and leaning over towards the nifty 50. I don't really do any sports or long range photographs, do you or know someone that has the 50mm 1.8g that likes it or recommends it? Also thank you for your service (Location info)

''I Shoot SEXY Bokeh'' lol!

Please post some! ;)

EDIT: I think that might require something like an 85mm 1.4.. or similar! ;)

Last edited:
I own the 50 1.8g and I do recommend it, great bokeh and very sharp.

Here's an example I have that demonstrates the sharpness of the lens and if you look closely there is a tiny bit of bokeh in the top right corner. haha I am merely an amateur and don't have anything mind blowing to display, but it is a very good lens.

Since I did do a little editing on the top image I think it's only fair that I display the SOOC shot to show the actual sharpness of the lens before editing.

SOOC

DSC_0784 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

Last edited:

Please post some! ;)

I'm still trying to find something around this place that is ''Sexy Bokeh material'' so far no go right now. I saw a review about the new 85mm lens I heard its quite good so how does it really do for the camera guy taking pictures?

I own the 50 1.8g and I do recommend it, great bokeh and very sharp.

Here's an example I have that demonstrates the sharpness of the lens and if you look closely there is a tiny bit of bokeh in the top right corner. haha I am merely an amateur and don't have anything mind blowing to display, but it is a very good lens.

DSC_0784_edited-1 by Lily Belle Photos, on Flickr

Yes you are right the photo you posted looks amazing even though it does have little bokeh on the top right of the photo but it looks amazing and sharp. Do you recommend a lens hood for it or just leave it off?

Please post some! ;)

I'm still trying to find something around this place that is ''Sexy Bokeh material'' so far no go right now. I saw a review about the new 85mm lens I heard its quite good so how does it really do for the camera guy taking pictures?

I think you are referring to the 85mm 1.8 that Nikon just released? The 1.4 is unbelievable.. it is probably the fastest focusing, most accurate lens I have... and really makes lovely bokeh (I don't know if it is SEXY. but it is definitely CREAMY!)

This was done with my 50mm 1.4... not the greatest shot, but love the leaves in the background!

6480149827_61a9892991_b.jpg

Kara C by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Please post some! ;)

I think you are referring to the 85mm 1.8 that Nikon just released? The 1.4 is unbelievable.. it is probably the fastest focusing, most accurate lens I have... and really makes lovely bokeh (I don't know if it is SEXY. but it is definitely CREAMY!)

This was done with my 50mm 1.4... not the greatest shot, but love the leaves in the background!

6480149827_61a9892991_b.jpg

Kara C by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

That'll be the one I am talking about the Nikkor 85mm 1.8g lens. The photograph looks really nice and clean looking I might have to take that in to a option for me to purchase. :thumbup:

Thanks, you are probably being too kind with your critique but I'll take it. I did always use the lens hood with it and it's pretty sturdy.

Nah, I just speak what I see in photographs you do your best trust me you do! Let's keep it up! :D

This is from the 50 1.4g @ f/2.8

This is from the 55-300 @ f/4.5

I'd go for the 50. The 55-300 isn't a bad lens but the 50 is way better!

Thank you very much Sexy Bokeh guy! Gipson, nice bokeh on that. I was thinking of picking up the 85 1.8g once enough reviews start rolling in when they release it.

Your welcome! Do some practice photographs like a bunch of them and pick out the best one you think and do some editing of them. That's what I do and pick out the nice one or nice ones of the bunch that I took.

This is from the 50 1.4g @ f/2.8

This is from the 55-300 @ f/4.5

I'd go for the 50. The 55-300 isn't a bad lens but the 50 is way better!

Thank you Megan...So you think the 50 is way better than the 55-300mm? Do you use a lens hood with it or just leave it bare naked?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back