next lens

haris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi! i'm using nikon d40 with the kit lens and i want to change to a more powerful lens..can anybody help me with this? i don't have any idea about what lens should i use since there are limited type of lens that suit with d40....i like to shoot cityscapes and skylines as well as macro/close-up..should i go for 2 different lens? budget is $ 700~1000 for the lens(es)

Here come the 18-200 people......

By the way dont buy that lens.

And here's another vote fro the 18-200MM VR. I love mine as as a walk around lens. also try Sigma 70-200MM HSM. I have no idea whats wrong with the 18-200 VR.

And here's another vote fro the 18-200MM VR. I love mine as as a walk around lens. also try Sigma 70-200MM HSM. I have no idea whats wrong with the 18-200 VR.

err..what is HSM?

Hyper Sonic Motor?

Don't actually know what it stands for, but from my understanding it's Sigma's equivalent to an AF-S lens. Meaning, in short, that it will autofocus with the D40.

Somebody correct me if I"m wrong.

I have a D40 and I'm enjoying the 70 - 300 VR.

I'm looking at the 105 2.8 Vr as well.

I've heard a few people say the 70-300 VR is a little akward on the D40 because of it's weight vs. the D40's weight and size. Is this an issue for you Hill202?

Yes, its a little off balance but you get used to it. I use a tripod quite alot so its not a big issue.

is the 70-300VR is suitable for landscape/cityscape/skyline shot?

In certain situations I think it is. I've been reading quite a lot and some of what I've read tells you to mix things up some. In other words use telephoto for landscapes and wide angle for close ups. Try to find perspectives that are not usually seen.

Not really. You'd want a wide angle lens for those types of shots. With a 70-300 you'd have to stand reallly far back to get a skyscraper in the shot and most likely you'd be so far back that something else would end up blocking your view. You could probably shoot landscapes and such with that lens though.

are they any lens that can zoom, do landscape/cityscapes and close-up at the same time? i prefer versatility. if no, can anybody suggest me 2 lens that suit those kind of shot.

Most reactions

Back