Next Purchase - Flash or Extension Tubes?

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a question - I am still fairly new to photography (about 6 months now) and am still in the learning/experimenting mode. I have taken an interest in macro photography, but am not willing (at this point) to drop the big bucks into a new macro lens.

Am I better off to invest my money into some Kenko extension tubes to shoot close-ups, or, as a new photographer, should I be spending those dollars on an external light for my camera? I know the answer to this question might be "depends what you want to take pictures of" but i'm curious how everyone else approaches these purchasing decisions.

I don't have any lenses with apertures lower than 4.0 so I feel limited to what I can do indoors when i'm at weddings, shooting pictures of kids, etc. I don't like the in-camera flash b/c of all of the shadows, and I can never get a fast enough shutter speed to slow down the action so a flash would be useful in this area.

Extension tubes appeal to me b/c of the unique opportunities that they provide. I like being able to show people things as they've never seen them before, be it flowers, insects, foods, etc. and I know a set of extension tubes would open an entirely new world for me.

So, knowing that information, what do you think is my best option? And if it's a new flash, any suggestions on what type I should be looking for?

Thanks! I know this is a broad question, but any input would be wonderful.

Most reactions

Back