Next SLR camera is there an alternative to the Nikon D7100 for me?

Where did you get that info on a D7200

the internet.

Why not go FF if you can afford it,no DX can compete with a FF on an IQ stand point.

under most normal lighting conditions, they certainly can.

It what ways does the picture from the D7100 in this shot cannot compete with this shot from a D600 from an IQ standpoint?

I see you own the D600 why tell others not to go FF?? Just asking.

I didn't necessarily say don't get FF. But considering the price barrier, one should probably have a reason to go FF for better reasons than: the IQ is better. Because honestly, the IQ isn't even that bad on a D5100, what the OP currently shoots and said he had issue with.

The OP also alluded that after the purchase of the D7100, he would save up for the next year or so and jump straight into a D800, which is a great camera. Currently, he would have not a single lens to shoot on it with. If the latest D7000 series camera was purchased, assuming an even better specsheet over the D7100, that there might not be the need to go FF. So really I was merely suggesting, that if you get the latest D7000 series, if it ever does have a release date, it will be an improvement over the D7100, which is already a stellar camera with one of the best crop-sensors on the market.

When I wrote that post, I was under the assumption the D7200 was something actually coming to fruition, but I haven't heard anything new about it. Ignoring the D7200 for now, I can list plenty of reasons to get a D7100 over a D600. Likewise, I can list plenty of reasons to get a D600 over a D7100; IQ not really being one of them.

Last edited:
The ff/crop debate usually at some stage ends up in an argument, in fact this one has been quite informative and pleasant. I (and I am far from pro/expert or even very knowledgeable) will say that having owned and used micro 4/3rds, crop and fullframe Canon and crop nikon cameras, that image quality in normal day to day scenarios where someone is not printing massively is not as big an issue as a few years ago. Even the m4/3 cameras with their sensors 1/4 the size of fullframe can compete at low iso.

Some Users though get a better experience or see a quality or property in different types of cameras that others don't see. This is user preferences and cannot be explained in a post. Likely one has to use all types and see for themselves.

With Nikon, the advantage of full frame is obvious enough: much better choices when it comes to lenses. There is simply no DX equivalent to 3 of the 4 FX lenses I use. The only exception is the 50mm f1.8, since the 35mm f1.8 for DX is just as good.

Nikon DX is of course really good if you like superzooms (18-200mm f3.5-5.6, 18-300mm f3.5-5.6, 18-300mm f3.5-6.3, I wonder when they will stop) or really need extreme telephoto (since then you get 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 and all that jazz). Otherwise the Nikon DX lens selection is IMHO already worse than what for example Fuji X has to offer.

Where did you get that info on a D7200

the internet.

Why not go FF if you can afford it,no DX can compete with a FF on an IQ stand point.

under most normal lighting conditions, they certainly can.

It what ways does the picture from the D7100 in this shot cannot compete with this shot from a D600 from an IQ standpoint?

I see you own the D600 why tell others not to go FF?? Just asking.

I didn't necessarily say don't get FF. But considering the price barrier, one should probably have a reason to go FF for better reasons than: the IQ is better. Because honestly, the IQ isn't even that bad on a D5100, what the OP currently shoots and said he had issue with.

The OP also alluded that after the purchase of the D7100, he would save up for the next year or so and jump straight into a D800, which is a great camera. Currently, he would have not a single lens to shoot on it with. If the latest D7000 series camera was purchased, assuming an even better specsheet over the D7100, that there might not be the need to go FF. So really I was merely suggesting, that if you get the latest D7000 series, if it ever does have a release date, it will be an improvement over the D7100, which is already a stellar camera with one of the best crop-sensors on the market.

When I wrote that post, I was under the assumption the D7200 was something actually coming to fruition, but I haven't heard anything new about it. Ignoring the D7200 for now, I can list plenty of reasons to get a D7100 over a D600. Likewise, I can list plenty of reasons to get a D600 over a D7100; IQ not really being one of them.

Oh yea I forgot about that TV commercial if you see it on the internet it must be true.

But you can use FX lenses on DX so it's not really a big deal. At the wide end it is advantageous to use a DX specific lens since they are generally faster or smaller than the equivalent FX lens.

DX has several advantages too. It's better for wildlife shooting (higher pixel density). And it is significantly cheaper.

It really depends what kind of shooting you're into. If you find yourself shooting a lot a high ISO and using thin DoF a lot, full frame is probably for you. If you're into shooting small birds, it probably isn't.

Currently i have a Nikon D5100 and close to completing my college photography course. My biggest issue with the D5100 is the quality and size of the viewfinder compared to other SLR camera's I've tested. It's not the brightest and the focus points aren't the clearest and there is only one cross type. I do wear glasses too but try to take them off whilst shooting and adjust the diopter. In addition I can't use older Nikon lenses without the built in motor.

My priority is image quality and I can't afford a FF body, I've currently got 3 DX lenses - Sigma 17-50 2.8, Nikon 35mm 1.8 and 55-200mm (soon to be sold) and be replaced with Sigma 10-20mm or Nikon 14-24.I don't use the SLR for any video work.

I think the D7100 will suit my purposes for the next few years and then money permitting allow me to purchase a D800, bypassing the entry level FF D610.

I reckon I can sell my d5100 body only, with the Lowepro backpack and other accessories boxed for £250.00. D7100 £839 less the £100.00 cashback. Difference of £489

Your thoughts please?
I felt very please with D7100

I'm guessing everyone's first question is what will you be shooting. I own a 7100, and I am head over heels for it. I have owned several others and a FF at one point. I shoot macro, portraits and landscapes, and it has served me well thus far. If your priority is image quality, I think the 5300 can rival the flagship asp-c cameras if you want to save a bit more.

The d7100 is good for most everything the general photographer will shoot. It gets noisy at high ISOs, however. I don't think I've ever went pass 1250 and have been happy with the noise.

low light is also a lens issue....get better glass!

Just picked up the 7100. Anyone ever had a one side of their box scratched like this with Nikon, should i take it back? $IMG_20140510_193939178.jpg

Just take it back and tell them you want a new box. I don't blame you. Think of resale value with a beatup box!

What about the extra stop of light full frame provides? Is that not important in making an evaluation?

Took it back and got a full refund the only other one in stock was fine, however the d610 and d800's were fine. Placing an order with LCS tomorrow. For once I'm glad the weather was rubbish this weekend in the UK!

Just picked up the 7100. Anyone ever had a one side of their box scratched like this with Nikon, should i take it back?View attachment 73523

Yes and the camera was fine new and unused your box is scuffed but that does not mean there is anything wrong with the camera !!

Each to their own, glad I got a refund as they were not very helpful and tried to send me to the technical support queue. Imagine if there had been and issue with camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back