Next Step?

scorpion_tyr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
lawrenceburnsphotography.yolasite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm really wanting to take my hobby to the next level. I'd love to make some money from my photography, and eventually do it full time. I guess my real question for the pros is what should my next step be?

I've got a decent DLSR set up right now (all my equipment is listed on my profile). I've done a few shoots for close friends and family as well as some shots for a local non-profit organization. They all seemed very impressed with my images. Right now I'm trying to find a wedding or two as well as other events, people, things, etc to shoot for free to build my portfolio up. I also have a small website on wix right now as well.

So how did you all begin making money in the business?

Is a degree in photography necessary?

After I get a decent portfolio going what would be a good next step to start making a little bit of money while also learning through experience?

I'm really wanting to take my hobby to the next level. I'd love to make some money from my photography, and eventually do it full time. I guess my real question for the pros is what should my next step be?

I've got a decent DLSR set up right now (all my equipment is listed on my profile). I've done a few shoots for close friends and family as well as some shots for a local non-profit organization. They all seemed very impressed with my images. Right now I'm trying to find a wedding or two as well as other events, people, things, etc to shoot for free to build my portfolio up. I also have a small website on wix right now as well.

After I get a decent portfolio going what would be a good next step to start making a little bit of money while also learning through experience?

A degree in photography helps if you want to work for someone else, but the explosion in stock images isn't helping with that.

If you want to have your own business you would do much better with a business/marketing degree. Psychology would be a good minor because it will help you understand how and why salesmanship works and what motivates people's spending habits. You should use your electives to take as many art classes as possible.

No degree neccessary. Just a lot of sweat, hard work, learning, apprenticing, long hours, business skills....... That's pretty much it.

I think guy you should do wedding advertisement on your side it help many chances to create collect photos of wedding and occasion . I hope you like my opinion

No degree is needed. Clients don't care about your education they only want good photos. The key to getting business is marketing. That's where your efforts should be (assuming your photography is up to snuff).

learn how to market yourself as well as be consistent with work you produce

Most reactions

Back