Nice landscape or nothing?

andycarnall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can't decide on this one - any input on whether it's any good or not and how it could be improved welcome

Final-01.jpg

Cheers

First thing I noticed was that the sky was over exposed and quite plain. Secondly, the shadow of the tree behind you is killing the color in the grass.

I think the scene is great, the stream going around the bend really leads the eye into the picture. I would like to see a lower point of view. Maybe something significant in the foreground would lead the viewer into the scene...where they could then be lead further in by the water.

A bump up in color saturation wouldn't hurt either.

The first thing I notice here is the sky. Maybe it's too plain to make the photo so that also you, Andy, would have said instantly "Yesss!"

I don't mind the shadow of the tree as much as Mike does, but I do mind that you see some of the photographer's head (nitpicky, I know).

Other than that my first thought was "A Turner" (What did I think? Who? That I know nothing about British painters?). There certainly is SOMETHING to the photo...!

I tend to agree with Big Mike.

It is close to being a really great shot, but I just feel something is missing. The color does look a bit bland, and the sky lacks interest. Maybe just a different time of day would help?

A polarizing filter would help with that sky, or like Mike suggested a lower perspective to keep the sky view limited. I like the tree shadow a lot, but agree with Lafoto about seeing your head shadow. :wink: That comes across like a visual error to me.

Nicely composed and very pretty - worthy of another try, that's for sure! :D

Thanks for the suggestions - If we get some sun this weekend I'm going back to try again.

I got rid of my head and it looks much better, but I'm not going to repost until I've gone back and sorted out the other issues.

I would love to have taken it later (it was about 12.30) but by the time it got to the magic hour, the wonderful light was very grey and full of rain :cry:

for me this is a lovely shot! I enjoy it! Valm colors, nice composition and very interesting reflection in the water causes that I want to look at the pic all the time. But there is only one thing that I'd like to critique: the shadow of your head (I think so)

Done the crop, it's been bugging me since my attention was drawn to it.

I annoyed that I missed it. I'm going to plead the 95% viewfinder for missing it when I took it, but I have no excuse for post processing :oops:

Final-01a.jpg

Out of interest does anyone know if there's a plugin or filter for PS7 that can mimic a polarizer?

Out of interest does anyone know if there's a plugin or filter for PS7 that can mimic a polarizer?

That, I do not know. Someone suggested an increase in saturation; that might help the sky but I'm afraid your nice greens and the brown bushes might suffer.

I agree with Chase that the crop and losing the head shadow are big improvements by themselves. :D

Most reactions

Back