Nickon D40X

Robbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...I've juts bought the new Nickon D40X, and chose it over the alternative, being the canon 400D. Everything about the nickon seemed better ( I read reviews saying that the lens the canon comes with isn't up to much ), and I was advised to get it as well.

One thing I was ignorant to however was the fact that, apparently, the camera isn't compatable with the majority of lenses out there.

How much of a problem is this ?

And what lenses will still fit my camera ?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

(From Ken Rockwell's site, I assume this applies to the D40X as well)

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My D40 only autofocuses with the latest AF-S lenses, and also the the old, professional, AF-I lenses. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You'll have to focus manually with traditional AF lenses, which means forget about older lenses except macros (I always focus those manually) and fisheyes and ultrawides (easy to focus). [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Every AF lens made in the past 20 years meters and exposes perfectly; it's just the autofocus which won't work."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
So it sounds like AF-S and AF-I lenses will autofocus, but AF lenses will not.

From the Nikon web page:​

Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor:

1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus\
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus
4) Other AF Nikkor*¹/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used

Thanks a lot :D

and really, the 400D is in competition with the D80, not the D40.

Does Nikon have af-s or af-i 50mm lens? since the 1.4 and 1.8 are D series and would loose auto focus.

Well the D40X is pricier over here ( UK ) than both the 400D and the D40, its also been upgraded, and now has 10 million pixels instead of 6, 3fps and better battery life.

You can pick up the 400D here for £450. The D80 will set you back over £680 pounds ! How can they be in competition with each other ?

Well the D40X is pricier over here ( UK ) than both the 400D and the D40, its also been upgraded, and now has 10 million pixels instead of 6, 3fps and better battery life.

You can pick up the 400D here for £450. The D80 will set you back over £680 pounds ! How can they be in competition with each other ?

easy, the D40x is just a larger megapixel D40, which is a base entry level camera. The 400D on the other hand has 10mp as well, but features a far superior (to the D40X) auto focus system, 35 zone metering, and the ability to use all lenses built by the company. Add in that the D40 doesn't have many settings that can be altered externally, but rather you need to go into the menus (wasting time). Also, the D40 is the smallest of the 10 MP DSLRs, smaller than the XTi, which in my opinion is already slightly to small. As far as the burst rate, the D40x produces 3 fps at basic quality Jpeg, but only 2.2 fps at fine quality, according to Popular Photography. Also, the XTi scores slightly better resolution (competing with the D80). Also, if you plan to do any sports or photography of moving objects, the D40 is going to make it tough with 3 AF points compared to the XTi's 7.

I'm not saying the D40X isn't a decent camera, but the XTi and D80 are in a different class than the D40, especially until Nikon releases better AF-S lenses.

Oh, and I dont differentiate between the D40 and D40X here because the problems with the camera are found in both models.

And price doesn't have anything to do with the class the camera competes in. Being more expensive doesn't make a camera better, just well, more expensive.

Most reactions

Back