Nifty Fifty

hawee99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've heard alot about how good this lens is, but mostly from Canon users. Is it just as highly recommended for Nikon users. Sharpness. Etc...
If so, is it recommended to get the 50mm 1.4, or the 1.8. Price difference of about 210. Worth it?

Thanks

I can't comment about Nikon users but as a canon user I have been very happy with mine. If you have the extra cash I would say go for it. From what I have herd the 1.4 at 1.8 will be sharper then the 1.8 at 1.8. Even if you dont NEED the extra stop, sharpness doesnt hurt.

The same applies for Nikon as for Canon... with a fast 50mm you can't really go wrong. Expect very good performance wide-open... the limiting factor here may be more often than not the shallow depth of field rather than the optical quality... by f/2.8 it will be excellent and by f/4 you are talking really great performance. As for deciding between an f/1.8 and f/1.4, remember that the main thing you are paying for is the extra speed (with Canon you are also paying for a difference in build quality which is not such an issue with Nikon since Nikon's f/1.8 is already fairly well built). Considering that the f/1.4 can cost at least twice as much, I would not expect twice the optical performance at any aperture. The f/1.4 may be slightly better at f/1.8 than the f/1.8, but I don't think it would be a major difference. Both lenses are going to be excellent by f/2.8. The main advantage of the f/1.4 is f/1.4... of course there may be situations where that f/1.4 comes in very handy.

I'm with a different brand and since the equivalent 50mm f/1.4 was very affordable I didn't have to think twice about choosing it. Here the f/1.4 is not all that cheap and the f/1.8 costs so much less that I would definitely consider the slower lens and consider how much you'd need the light advantage of f/1.4.

Cool, i'll probably get the 1.8 then. I have been getting by with a 18-50 2.8. so as far as light goes, I guess I can't justify the price difference

I have the 1.8 and I love it. It is pretty quick and seems like a solid build. It is a great standard lens to have and how can you go wrong for $150?

I've been wanting this lens for a while now. I was recently taking indoor/night pictures of family and I was really wishing I had this lens. The fastest lens I have is f/3.3 and that just doesn't cut it.

At such a low price this IS a must lens for the bag!

Get the f/1.4 if you can. It's got much better build quality, the auto-focus is faster, and the image is lovely - the two lenses will not give you the same image at f/1.8. There are differences in contrast and the way that it renders out-of-focus areas. The f/1.4 is a MUCH better lens, and well worth the money.

Iron, sorry for making assumptions but are you referring to Canon or Nikon there? I know with Canon there is a huge difference in build quality (with the 1.8 being pretty much all plastic) and also Canon's 1.4 has more aperture blades than the 1.8 (hence the improved bokeh)... I think Nikon's two 50s both have the same number of blades and from what I remember the difference in build quality was nowhere near as noticeable.

I had the Canon 1.8 and just got a 1.4 It is much better built. Well worth the price difference if you use your camera handheld. The 1.8 is a helluva lens for the price, however.

Iron, sorry for making assumptions but are you referring to Canon or Nikon there? I know with Canon there is a huge difference in build quality (with the 1.8 being pretty much all plastic) and also Canon's 1.4 has more aperture blades than the 1.8 (hence the improved bokeh)... I think Nikon's two 50s both have the same number of blades and from what I remember the difference in build quality was nowhere near as noticeable.

An answer to this one would be really helpful since I have a Nikon. I plan on finding a store that has both, but your opinions on sharpness are nice to have. Thanks for all the responses

Get the f/1.4 if you can. It's got much better build quality, the auto-focus is faster, and the image is lovely - the two lenses will not give you the same image at f/1.8. There are differences in contrast and the way that it renders out-of-focus areas. The f/1.4 is a MUCH better lens, and well worth the money.
Right, I'm a dumbass. I thought you were discussing the Canon lenses. Sheesh, some daysa I have the attention span of a gnat.

Right, I'm a dumbass. I thought you were discussing the Canon lenses. Sheesh, some daysa I have the attention span of a gnat.

ha it's all good, it still led to some good deciding info

You're not a dumbass until you spend 10 minutes trying to find out if you can get your broken toaster replaced under warranty, before realising someone just switched it off at the wall. Yes that was me this morning :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back