Night at Fife's Peak

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really struggling with the astrophotography. Everything sounds simple enough when you read about what to do, however, I find there are a lot more issues involved than just getting the right settings. I spent quite a long time out last night playing around and mostly trying for a time lapse of any quality. Unfortunately, the time lapse was a BIG disappointment. These are the only photos I got of any worth. Halfway back down the road, it donned on me that I should have taken a vertical shot. I'm still getting use to the fact that I have a tripod that allows me to.

Suggestions/help, please!

Fife's Peak by RxForB3, on Flickr

Fife's Peak Stars by RxForB3, on Flickr

Fife's Peak Star Trails by RxForB3, on Flickr

Really cool shots I love to see the stars like that. It makes me feel like i'm looking at them from the ground outside my tent. I heard that most Astros photographers will expose for upwards of 7 hours and the have to compensate for the rotation of the earth. Maybe you should google it.

Thank you, Chris82. I've read a decent bit on various techniques, but I'm mainly going for the easier route. People seem to still have great results (such as those by sw1tchfx).

After looking at the photos and thinking, I suspect that my problem was that I underexposed them still...

As for exif data...it's available by following the link to the flicker page. I'll add the exif to this page later when I'm on my computer (using my phone right now).

I checked out the EXIF data, image one was shot at ISO 3200, that explains the noise in that image, The third one was shot at ISO 100. If you are trying to make great star trails I have a few suggestions for you.
First check into getting Magic Lantern for your T3i, it has a built in intervalometer, which is essential when doing star trails, you want the same exposure time in each image. Also check into getting starstax for stacking you images, both are free!!!.

Most reactions

Back