Night Club Photography

nima

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,
I just bought my Canon 20D and 24-70 L lens. I also have a 50mm f1.8...

I need to do night club photography every weekend. I was wondering what tips you guys can give ....

I was thinking use ISO 400 and use larger aperture

Thanks

fast lenses are your friend.
50mm 1.8 is a good think to have
zooms with max/constant aperature of 2.8 are also good.
a flash that you can angle is also good.

So you think I should use the 50mm and not the 24-70?

Hey,
I just bought my Canon 20D and 24-70 L lens. I also have a 50mm f1.8...

I need to do night club photography every weekend. I was wondering what tips you guys can give ....

I was thinking use ISO 400 and use larger aperture

Thanks
If your planning on doing this professionally you'll need a lot more than a fast lens, high iso and a wide aperture.

Im not sure what night club photography is but I'm guessing it happens at night so here's my suggestions. Def a high iso 800 is prob good. Def use the 50mm 1.8.
Another trick you might want to try is to use your flash but bounce it instead of aiming towards the subject. If your indoors bounce off a ceiling if your outdoors try pointing your flash straight up and attach a white index card to the back of flash with a rubber band. Experiment with the flash to get the best exposure.
But flash should always be a last resort, atleast it is to me.

Nightclub photography NEPats is basically that - Photos of people and/or events in a nightclub (disco or whatever you call it where you are)

In a dark club even f2.8 will be too slow. I'd look at buying a fast wide prime - possibly a Sigma 30mm f1.4 or something like that. The 50 will be ok but it can be a little long using it on a 20D.

Using flash (if you have one) is a decent option if needs must. You may need some practice to get it looking right. With the 50 f1.8 you can use it with fairly low ambient light and fairly slow shutter speeds to get people sharp but with the feeling of movement.

Whatever you do..... good luck.

Nah, 2.8 should be fine - I shoot low light events constantly with a 17-55mm and never had a problem, from sound stages to night clubs, its a good all around night lens!

Thanks a lot guys....

I will use the 50mm this weekend and higher ISO (between 400-800) and will let you know how it goes..

Nah, 2.8 should be fine - I shoot low light events constantly with a 17-55mm and never had a problem, from sound stages to night clubs, its a good all around night lens!

Suppose it depends on the nightclub. With some decent lighting yes but in the club I used to go to..... even the 50f1.8 would struggle :)

THe 17-55 has IS which helps a bit.

Never shot in a nightclub but I've shoot in tight crowded areas at night... including subways and such. It is a fun challenge.

Use the fastest primes you can afford. I carried a 24, 35, and 50. Often found 50mm a bit too long even on full frame. 35mm was pretty ideal. You can typically hand hold shorter focal lengths anyways. Keep track of areas that have a bit more light as you chances for a good shot increase in those areas. Keep track of places that you can use to steady yourself (building support posts, outer walls, bar handrails, etc) . I use a loose messenger bag with Domke padded dividers; 1 compartment for each lens. Leave the lens caps and rear caps off. I found myself switching between lenses faster and dropping a cap in a crowded area usually means it is lost forever.

Flash has never really a good option for me but I have used a flash pack on occasion. When you enter an area, take note of the ceiling when you enter. How high is it? What color? I once used bounce and didn't realize that the ceiling was painted a deep purple.... DOH!. If you do use a flash, try to get the background exposed even a little so it looks like the subjects are in a club rather than a completely black background.

Good luck! and have fun.

If you are in a club, you will probably notice that MOST of the atmosphere is created by the lighting. I assume that you are taking people. so the 50mm will be close enough magnification wise. and at f1.8 with a 400 to 800 ISO should do the trick. Flash will bleach out all the coloured lighting that the people concerned have spent a long time creating, and make the subjects look as though they are posing in the office...
really to give a good answer we will need to know more about what you are photographing and when and how etc etc.

I know that I should post pictures for review in another topic but i thought it would be more appropriate to post it here....

Here are two pictures I took last week using the 24-70 and flash (camera body's flash)

Party.gif

DJ.gif

well, depending on what you want... As someone said before, the flash bleaches the lightning... I couldn't tell that those pics were taken in a club if it wasnt for the DJ :)

well, depending on what you want... As someone said before, the flash bleaches the lightning... I couldn't tell that those pics were taken in a club if it wasnt for the DJ :)

Yes I agree.

I agree.. the flash does kinda take away from the club lighting...

Anyway to maybe shoot the flash at 1/4 power or so just to buy you a couple stops and not overpower the ambiance of the nightclub?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back