Night Drive...

1) Not sure how you got these shots; although shot 2 and 3 suggest you were driving and shooting at the same time. Might sound a bit "ninny" like but honestly I'd say focus on the driving alone. If you want to shoot whilst driving have a look at something like RAM-Mount attachments - they do a series of brackets, suckers, connectors and joint sections as well as ball joints which have screwthread attachments - so you fit the ball into a ball-and-socket setup and the screwthread attaches to the tripod mount on the camera. Set your camera up mounted and then drive; that way you "can" take a photo whilst driving and keep your hands on the wheel and hte camera shutter (remote release might be best) is just like changing the volume on the radio - rather than something you have to pick-up and use. It will limit your shooting angles asy ou can't change them on the move - but would encourage you to pre-plan your shots.

2) Shot 1 looks like the start of something - I'd even go as far as to say cropping off some of the black on the top and bottom might help the shot. That said its missing something, the exposure was, I think, too long and you've lost much of the detail in large areas. A little faster on the shutter speed might have helped.

3) Honestly this is a squiggle. I can "sort" of see where you're going and perhaps it might make it in a series of night-time driving like shots. But to me this shot is a fail as it is. I can't really say how to change or improve it; but I'd not class it as a success - an experiment to build from.

4) I totally see where this is going but at the same time many times I've seen this type of shot or effect has been in cinematography rather than stills. It's, to me, the kind of shot that works as part of a series which tells a story rather than one that maybe stands strong on its own.
I like the left; I like the upper right; the lower right though has a very sharp and powerful light within it that has blown out and provides a very ugly angle and direction that jars with the rest of the shot and composition.

The stop sign you've just caught at near the right moment; giving it enough clarity to be clear what it says whilst also getting a hazy double-exposure like effect on it.

I'd say this is a start and likely not going to be your best if you work at this type of photography. Some more pre-planning; some ideas and sometimes this sort of stuff can be more set-up than you think when it really works well (and sometimes that set-up is just knowing where to get the shot not always moving the lights around yourself - ergo its pre-planing hte shot not just being in the moment randomly). You might also want someone else to drive now and then so that you're focused purely on the photography and not upon driving (its safer too)

1) Not sure how you got these shots; although shot 2 and 3 suggest you were driving and shooting at the same time. Might sound a bit "ninny" like but honestly I'd say focus on the driving alone. If you want to shoot whilst driving have a look at something like RAM-Mount attachments - they do a series of brackets, suckers, connectors and joint sections as well as ball joints which have screwthread attachments - so you fit the ball into a ball-and-socket setup and the screwthread attaches to the tripod mount on the camera. Set your camera up mounted and then drive; that way you "can" take a photo whilst driving and keep your hands on the wheel and hte camera shutter (remote release might be best) is just like changing the volume on the radio - rather than something you have to pick-up and use. It will limit your shooting angles asy ou can't change them on the move - but would encourage you to pre-plan your shots.

2) Shot 1 looks like the start of something - I'd even go as far as to say cropping off some of the black on the top and bottom might help the shot. That said its missing something, the exposure was, I think, too long and you've lost much of the detail in large areas. A little faster on the shutter speed might have helped.

3) Honestly this is a squiggle. I can "sort" of see where you're going and perhaps it might make it in a series of night-time driving like shots. But to me this shot is a fail as it is. I can't really say how to change or improve it; but I'd not class it as a success - an experiment to build from.

4) I totally see where this is going but at the same time many times I've seen this type of shot or effect has been in cinematography rather than stills. It's, to me, the kind of shot that works as part of a series which tells a story rather than one that maybe stands strong on its own.
I like the left; I like the upper right; the lower right though has a very sharp and powerful light within it that has blown out and provides a very ugly angle and direction that jars with the rest of the shot and composition.

The stop sign you've just caught at near the right moment; giving it enough clarity to be clear what it says whilst also getting a hazy double-exposure like effect on it.

I'd say this is a start and likely not going to be your best if you work at this type of photography. Some more pre-planning; some ideas and sometimes this sort of stuff can be more set-up than you think when it really works well (and sometimes that set-up is just knowing where to get the shot not always moving the lights around yourself - ergo its pre-planing hte shot not just being in the moment randomly). You might also want someone else to drive now and then so that you're focused purely on the photography and not upon driving (its safer too)

Thanks for the response.

Photo 1 was taken from me in the passenger seat. Wasn't driving. Photo 2 was taken at a stop light and shot as the light turned green. The last shot is nothing more than a shot through my frozen windshield at a stop sign.

These were taken in high school over 10 years ago with a Canon Powershot. Can't say I planned anything and I would consider these nothing more than "just for fun."

Darn it totally missed which gallery they were in! Sorry about that!
*quickly hides before the mob cometh!*

Darn it totally missed which gallery they were in! Sorry about that!
*quickly hides before the mob cometh!*

Hahaha too funny man! It's all good and I appreciate the comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back