Night Fountains

jameswl2007

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey just a few i wanted to share on my way home kinda like water very unpredictable
This was my 1st night time shoot hope you like :)

It was dark so did not realize how well i caught the 1st pic i dubbed alien invasion as they kinda look like loads of little ships
$Alien invasion.JPG
$Jet Hair.JPG
$second wave.JPG

$Water boom.JPG
The other 3 were just a bit of fun

I saw these and I immediately fell in love with them!
I don't know, but something about the whole scene and how the water is behaving just captivates me.

First, what settings did you shoot this at? What was the shutter speed that allowed you to get that particular amount of blur, because I think that's what really draws people in with these pictures. Also, did you use any sort of flash or external light, or was it all natural? And lastly, although I assume the answer is yes, did you use a tripod?

I do like the first one as well. I like the close up view of the droplets, and it is definitely the best lit of the four. I really like the tight shot, and how it forces the focus onto the droplets and the spout. I know it's in the background, but I also really like the rippling of the water around the spout. I like this in all the pictures, but in the first it is most apparent. I think the only thing I really didn't like is that annoying metal ring around the faucet, but there's nothing you could do about that.

As for the second, I know it's a bit too dark, and that sign in the back really bummed me out. However, What really, really grabbed me about this one is that mushroom shape at the top. That is the part that really popped to me and I think redeems it. The only other thing I have is maybe crop a bit off the top, just to about the top of the wall so as to get rid of all that far background above it.

I think the third is very appealing because it is the best of both the first and second. I think the lighting works for it, not too dark, but still dim to add to the whole mood. It's less zoomed, so you can see more of the spout, while still saving detail on the droplets toward the bottom and even in mid air, which I also really like. Also, in this view there are no annoying signs in the background, so I think it allows for best focus on the fountain. I think the only negative thing that I can say about this is that it doesn't have the mushroom top with the apex of the water, but that is purely personal preference. (Also that stupid fence, but we've been over that. :p )

Lastly, the fourth one is just not doing it for me. At least not as much as the others. I still like the fountain, and I think the water is cool, but overall it's just different. This one's far too underexposed, and I think that hurts it (for obvious reasons) but I also think so because it totally eliminates the background so the whole thing just drops off after the bench. At first I didn't really like the bench either, but the more I looked at it, I don't so much mind the bench. I know it's weird, cause the fourth is similar to the other four, but it's just off to me.

Keep in mind, I'm very new to photography so you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt, but I did really look at this, give it some honest thought, and I wrote what I saw.
At any rate, thanks for reading.

No, I was actually trying to be serious...

However, judging from your comment it seems like I did a pretty poor job. :lol:

Well, like I said, I am super new to photography, so I probably should wait quite a while until I get some more experience, but these pictures truly intrigued me, and I was just trying my best to talk about what I saw.

I think for a beginner its a "fun" photo. Although very random with no structure. But we all started the same way, no formal training but loads of ideas and interest. I say do what you love, learn by mistakes and keep posting and learn. I love water images but I love extreme close ups of the water. This has to much going on for water at least what I believe water shots like these are better in close details rather then just " hey look another water fountain" try to narrow what interest you instead of just another water fountain.

No, I was actually trying to be serious...

However, judging from your comment it seems like I did a pretty poor job. :lol:

Well, like I said, I am super new to photography, so I probably should wait quite a while until I get some more experience, but these pictures truly intrigued me, and I was just trying my best to talk about what I saw.

Not at all, you did a fine job of providing CC! I was only commenting on the overall scope of the images and the CC which had been delivered thus far. No need to sit quietly, CC is always appreciated, no matter the source. Its the shooters job to determine what they find useful in terms of critique :) You put more effort into your response than most would.

i did not use a tripod for any of these i had to use flash as the water capture was coming out really dark without it on. as shutter speeds go i don't really play around with that to much i am very much a point and shoot kinda person but thanks for the comments keep em coming :) i will have plenty more to come as i have just invested in a new macro lens :)

oh i am still new to all this so still learning the shutter speeds as they say you can only get better :)

Most reactions

Back