Night photos of Venice, Cinque Terra, Paris, and Madiera (Portugal)

Jdub777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some night shots of different cities through my study abroad experience. Let me know what you think, criticism is welcome!

Cinque Terre

223.jpg

Paris

042.jpg

Venice

199.jpg

Madiera (Portugal)

128.jpg

Venice

196.jpg

They seem slightly blurry to me..

a little blurry for me but great shots and i wish i was there lol. the last one puts me in the mood and would be a really great shot if it was a little more clear!

The first is the best by far. Paris shot is overexposed and the lights are too big (I would use a higher aperture, you also get a start effect). The 2 after paris are boring and grainy. The last one I like but it is pretty soft, and might benefit from getting lower to the ground.

Nice shots but a bit blurry (esp. #3). But still look interesting.

Great memory shots. I have a few dozen of those myself, and a couple of your pictures bring back warm memories of my time in Europe. It's hard to get clear night shots without a tripod.

I am guessing you shot handheld with long exposure...

#1 is the best IMO.

ya, i dont have a tripod i would just set it on the ground so it makes sense they would be blurry. I have a little money to spend, what would be the best buy for under 500

Nice experience you had! You saw many wonderful places! You've been to places I've never been to myself, though I could have, given that I live in Europe! :D

The photos show that you took them with the widest open aperture your camera could set itself to in order to capture the light within the (for the camera) too dark surroundings for photography.

When you delve deeper into your hobby, and invest in a tripod (to my mind it need not be an expensive one, mine's an El cheapo type and does it's work, too), keep in mind that in night photography light sources (street lights, the lit up Eiffel Tower - for example - and so on) will become big, bright blobs when they hit the sensor through the wide open aperture. But they will get more detail, show up smaller, get a bit of a star effect to them, when the aperture is small, less light can hit the sensor, some will squeak its way through the aperture blades (which gives the star effect), so it will be a lot better defined and a lot less "blobby".

HOWEVER, in order to photograph at night with a SMALL aperture (high number! Such as f16 or so), the camera will ask for LOOOONG exposure times - naturally, as less light can hit the sensor at the time. Which means you have not chance BUT to set the camera on the tripod.

In order not to shake it at all, not even by pushing the release button, you might either want to get yourself a remote release (infrared or via cable, mine's an El Cheapo one via cable), or you set your camera on timer, so you can step back and let it release the shutter all by itself without your finger touching (and maybe moving) it.

You will find that your night photography will give you even more pleasure than it is doing already. I'm sure :D.

thanks for the help, i just got into photography so im definitely still learning. ill keep posting pictures of my travels, thanks again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back