Night photos

RoyM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to learn how to take advantage of the full moon and snow on the ground, we live in a rural area with little ambient light. Where can I set the ISO for the best effect if possible? I have dabbled in photography for a number of years and am now ready to wade in past my ankles.

There is no one 'best' ISO. It will all depend on what length of time you want the shutter open, what aperture you want to use, how well your camera deals with higher ISOs, how much noise you're willing to accept, and what you use for software to deal with noise.

I have never tried anything above 400 and have no idea where to start with aperture and speed. What do you mean by 'noise'?

Put camera on tripod
Set aperture to f8
ISO 100
When taking pictre use timer so you dont get camera shake.
This info is valid only if you are taking picture of stuff that aint moving like landscape.
These settings should give you best theoretical results from a technical POV.

F8 and ISO 100 isn't going to be enough even with a full moon

Just use shutter priority and auto iso. Set the shutter speed at 30 sec. Then experiment with different shutter speed. Make sure you have a tripod attached.

On a solid tripod you can start with f8 and ISO 100 AND try 5 seconds for the shutter. Look at the shot and go for more or less time. You can take the ISO up to a few thousand on most modern cameras by the way and 8 or 10 on some of the new hi dollar cameras.
When you UP the ISO number you're actually using an amplifier on the light being captured and if you amplify too much you get little dots of color which is referred to as noise. Most easily seen in the dark areas of the shot. That's not a technical answer obviously but you get the idea. Some cameras handle that better than others and some cameras use a trick to deal with it.

typically with a full moon I'll start at ISO 1600, f4, 10" and go from there. ISO 100 and f8....really?

I can see where ISO 100 and f8 would require a really long exposure. I am not looking at taking a direct picture of the moon, the reflected light and shadows are what I am after. You guys have given me some ideas to try, thanks

We see the moon at night so immediately think we need slow shutter and wide open lens BUT if we remember that we see the moon because the sun is shining on it, then we need to speed up and close down. If you want the moon and the local background in the shot you have a problem because one is bright and the other isn't. Easiest to take one shot for the moon and another for the local things and then merge them in PP.

Most reactions

Back