Night shooting?

Tolyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always wanted to capture a nice night time bridge shot, but have no clue how to go about it. I know for fireworks you use bulb with 200 ISO or so.. is it the same for bridges? It's not quite as bright though I don't think, so I'm unsure. Any recommendations, or pointers for technique.. anything at all :)

The important thing is that the camera is supported (tripod etc.) and that you fire it with a remote or use the self timer.

Use the lowest ISO.

The rest is experimentation.

Personally I go with a long exposure and a low ASA. The colour can get tricky so switch between daylight and tungsten. Some folks go with 1600 ASA. Which is fine. Comes down to the way you perceive the shot. As always.

Biggest problem is the pesky highlights. If you can only show the light and not the light source; go that route.

Another thing I find useful is closing down your aperture as far as possible. That way, light sources get 'stars' around them instead of 'blobs of light.

Low ISO, small aperture, long exposure is what works for me. Experimentation will let you find your own ideal set of variables.

TBaraki said:
Another thing I find useful is closing down your aperture as far as possible. That way, light sources get 'stars' around them instead of 'blobs of light.

Low ISO, small aperture, long exposure is what works for me. Experimentation will let you find your own ideal set of variables.
I've been reading a guide for composition and it shows a couple night shots with the 'stars' and a couple with the 'blobs', but it didn't explain yet what the difference was. Thank you for that :)

Everyone has pretty much said it. Low iso (less noise), cable release or camera timer, and a steady tripod. Choose your f-stop on how you want your photo to come out ( i like the sparkling star effect of higher f numbers). Also make sure you have a solid foundation to set up your tripod. I once shot a photo and wondered why it didn't come out as sharp as I'd like. Then I realized I had set up on a busy wooden pier and all those steps created vibrations that transferred to the camera.

TravelnFotog said:
Everyone has pretty much said it. Low iso (less noise), cable release or camera timer, and a steady tripod. Choose your f-stop on how you want your photo to come out ( i like the sparkling star effect of higher f numbers). Also make sure you have a solid foundation to set up your tripod. I once shot a photo and wondered why it didn't come out as sharp as I'd like. Then I realized I had set up on a busy wooden pier and all those steps created vibrations that transferred to the camera.
Thanks for the tips :)

I'll probably take multiple shots of the same picture on different f-stops, to test out for myself.. But I probably won't have a very close vantage point to the bridge, so I'll need a larger depth of field anyways, so it'll probably end up being a higher f-stop that turns out the best.

zombiekilla3k said:
I cant wait to see the finished photos!
That'll more likely be a whiles, I don't have a good scanner at the moment.. But I might get them on CD when I get them developed.. all depends how many rolls I expend while on vacation.. I'll be broke enough after the trip *chuckle*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back