Night Shot. How do you do this??

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was on a few different photographers sites and came across this picture:

http://www.picturenuts.com/Henry/#gallery/5._Photo_Expeditions/3._Saskatoon_Night_2008/img/4http://www.picturenuts.com/Henry/#gallery/5._Photo_Expeditions/3._Saskatoon_Night_2008

(I'd post the actual picture, but it won't let me:))

Can anyone tell me how much post-processing has gone into this picture? How much of it was actually captured, and how much of it was created after the fact?

I really, really like this shot, but have no idea how I can take similar pictures myself.

Thanks - really looking forward to everyone's feedback on this one!!

tripod + small apature + slow shutter =
DSC_1469.JPG

Model: NIKON D5000
DateTime: 10/20/2009 8:45:41 PM
ISOSpeedRatings: ISO 200
FocalLength: 18 mm
FNumber: F10
ExposureTime: 10 s

so you don't think that photo has any post processing?

I'm a night-shot addict, and not to correct erose (sorry, erose), but this shot is pretty as-is for the most part.

It was shot in the twillight hour, which helps give you that blue sky. The mix of lighting colors and stuff is just normal as different bulbs give off light at different temperatures.

It's exposed well, so he probably shot RAW, overexposed slightly, and backed down in post processing, but other than that, this is fairly cut and dry.

There's a pretty extensive tutorial I wrote on night photography here:
ImageAspect • View topic - Evolution of a Night Photographer

I could re-write it up here, but... um... well... no. :lol:

I shot this the oly post is resize and adding a border
DSC_2642.JPG

Model: NIKON D5000
DateTime: 3/10/2010 1:35:29 AM
ISOSpeedRatings: ISO 200
FocalLength: 18 mm
FNumber: F8
ExposureTime: 30 s

manaheim
thanks for the link to your night time photography. It is an interesting read!!!

My pleasure!

I'm a night-shot addict, and not to correct erose (sorry, erose), but this shot is pretty as-is for the most part.

It was shot in the twillight hour, which helps give you that blue sky. The mix of lighting colors and stuff is just normal as different bulbs give off light at different temperatures.

It's exposed well, so he probably shot RAW, overexposed slightly, and backed down in post processing, but other than that, this is fairly cut and dry.

There's a pretty extensive tutorial I wrote on night photography here:
ImageAspect • View topic - Evolution of a Night Photographer

I could re-write it up here, but... um... well... no. :lol:

So, did he use some kind of PP filter to "starburst" only the lights on the bridge? I really like night photos and want to learn more as well.

I will read your tutorial soon, bookmarked.

So, did he use some kind of PP filter to "starburst" only the lights on the bridge? I really like night photos and want to learn more as well.

No need to use any filters for the "star effect" on light sources in night photography, all that is required is a small enough aperture (which means you automatically need to expose for quite a while), the aperture blades will give you this star effect.

Nikon D200
Aperture:14
Shutter Speed: 25 seconds
ISO:320

PowerPlantDBJ.jpg

The most interesting thing in that photo is your watermark

:lol: I'm just teasin

The most interesting thing in that photo is your watermark

:lol: I'm just teasin

HAHAHA. I didnt notice the "im just teasin" part until right now. i was like "wow.. thats a nice person.. uhm. thankss.." hhaha

my favorite shot is actually under his about me :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back